Browning A Bolt

Wendyj

I found on of these s open up in 338 win mag. Thought it might be a nice gift for the husband. Don’t know much about Browning’s but am aware he likes the 338 chambering. Used but in great condition and scoped with a Bushnell Elite but scope doesn’t matter since we have a few laying around. Was wondering if they are moa rifles or not. Price is ridiculously low and the friend of ours at the gun store said man traded it in because of the recoil which isn’t going to bother my husband. Would like to know if these are moa rifles or not. Can’t find a lot of information on the A bolt since the x bolt gets most reviews I find. I’m sure we would reload for it if I got it for him.

Dufus

I have 3 A bolts and they are good & accurate with very nice wood.

The 22 Hornet will hold 5/8" for 5 shots.

The 325 WSM and 375 H&H will both hold under an inch 5 shot groups.

They all have good adjustable triggers.

I reload for all of them.

std7mag

My daughters boyfriend has a Browning A Bolt White Gold Medallion REMF in 7mm Rem Mag.
He was complaining that it didn't shoot well.
Action, scope and bases all gorilla tight! Broke 2 bits just getting rings separated.

Reset and torqued all fasteners with a Fat Wrench.
Generic middle of the road handloads to sight scope and see if it would group.
5 shots at 100 yards 0.83"

Loaded up some 150gr ELDX over RL23. 4.35" group of 5 at 600 yards.

Yeah, they'll shoot!

dgludwig

Personally, I much prefer the more classic appearance of the A-Bolt over its successors and I appreciate the unique design of the magazine on the A-Bolt. My A-Bolt is just a "silly-millimeter" shy of achieving moa accuracy with factory .22 Hornet ammunition.

Last edited:

Drm50

I had one in 270WSM / Leupold 6x. I got a deal on it and actually bought it to rape the scope and flip the rifle. Shot a box of ammo at 100yds rested. It shot under 1". Wood was
beautiful as was the blue. Very slick action. I might have kept it but have a good 270Win and didn't want to load for another cartridge.

Had one in .270 that was nearly a one-hole shooter with the right loads----had to sell it because I needed money for other things in life at the time----really miss that one.

joe45c

I have one in 7mm-08. bought it in 1995. More gun than i need. most of my shots are inside 75 yds, but who cares, i love it. Mine is the Medallion model. The guy i hunt with he has a A bolt in 325wsm. He loves his too. Great guns.