Browning A bolt?

Olympus

I like the A-Bolt action for sure and barrels have proven to be pretty decent from my experience, but I really dislike the gloss finish on the stock that the older guns have and I don't like the trigger, which my experience has found to be on the heavy side.

On the new ones, I dislike the plastic trigger and some I've seen even have plastic trigger guards.

lefteye

I have two A-Bolt stainless steel rifles, a .300 Win Mag and a 7mm Rem Mag. I've never shot the 7. I've taken two 5 X 5 elk and a 130 lb. black bear (at 400+ yards) with the .300. My stocks are not glossy. The rifles are great but I've never thought they were very good looking.

dgludwig

I also like the clever removable but not having to remove to load, magazine design. Spares aren't cheap though and hard to find.

jimbob86

Removable box magazine, thumb safety, and short bolt throw
What's not to like

Inability to take the bolt apart to clean it? I don't like that.

Browning recommends you take it to an "authorized service center" to do much of anything to it. I don't like that.

Niece has an A-Bolt II, bought used. It has a nasty habit of misfiring (light primer strikes), especially when it's cold..... I suspect congealed oil/crud in the inside of the bolt, but you can't take it apart to clean it........ soaking in solvent improves things, but has not cured the problem...... not a fan of the plastic stock on the gun, either......

....but it does work, and is accurate.

NHSHOOTER

I dont have a A bolt but I did buy a X bolt last December, I guess one of the few things the Xbolt has is an adjustable trigger which in my opinion doesnt adjust down far enough. I got the thumbhole stock which is NOT glossy at all and all in all it is 1 very accurate rifle. I have only shot it at 100 yds (limit at my club) but I do reload and with 4 different bullet weights and manufacturers it does shoot 3/8 in groups. My friend has a A bolt in 270 that he shoots factory ammo out of and its very accurate also. My Xbolt will be my goto deer rifle this coming fall.

taylorce1

I don't own one, but a buddy of mine owns several A-Bolt stainless stalkers in WSM cartridges. His favorite being the .325 WSM, it's scary accurate with factory ammunition. I'm pretty sure Miroku makes them in Japan and they have a good reputation, Howa is another popular Japanese rifle make with a good reputation.

NHSHOOTER

joe45c, Do you reload and have a pet load or do you shoot store bought? I have gotten my best accuracy from 120 gr Nosler Ballistic tips although the Sierras 120 and 140 were very close seconds.

ripnbst

Ultrasonic cleaning or merely soaking overnight in a good solvent then blowing it out with an air hose is the easiest way.

If you don't have access to compressed air go to the store and buy some keyboard cleaner canned air. Best thing I ever thought of when cleaning guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My old A-bolt Composite Stalker was a tack driver---which I stupidly let get away.

Recently fixed that situation with a new X-bolt Composite Stalker but haven't shot it yet.

joe45c

NHSHOOTER, yep i reload. For my hunting rounds i go with 140 gr Nosler Partitions. I forget what the charge is that i use, but usually i only load rounds with middle chrge rates. For range time practice rounds, i also like to use 120 gr Sierra's. Minimal charge.

joe45c

Jimbob, I haven't figured out how to get the bolt apart. Looked on the net for some guidance but couldn't find any. My model 70 bolt comes apart with no problems, but the A-bolt has got me stumped. But so far it hasn't given me any problems. I have on occasion just dipped it in Hoppes. dryed it and lightly oiled it.

LOLBELL

I have a 30 year old Stainless Stalker in 270 Win. that has run flawlessly. It'll do 1/2 moa up to 400 yards with my hand loads of Hornady 140 grn BTSP and Varget. I've never felt the need to break down the bolt for cleaning, just a wipe down with an oily rag. Bore gets cleaned with a chunk of lead (140 grn) at about 2900 fps pretty regular.

The rifle just "fits me", hits where I aim, and is very dependable. It's a handsome rifle to boot with the stainless metal and black composite stock, topped with a silver VX III scope. I like it :D