Browning A-Bolt vs. Win. Mod. 70 classic

redrooster2

I am considering the purchase of a new rifle in .270 WSM. I am looking at the Browning A-bolt and the Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight. Are they equal in quality or is one superior?

BusGunner007

I'd rather have a Browning than a Winchester, but between those two, especially in that cartridge, I'd pick the Featherweight Winchester.

OTHER THAN those two, I'd pick a Remington Model 7 in 7mm SAUM! :D

Tim R

I have the feather weight in '06. It's a fine rifle, easy to carry in the field and deadly accurate. By that I mean I can cover a 4 shot group at 100 yards with my thumb nail. The down side is it's not much fun shooting at paper very many times. :eek:

I would own another.

BusGunner007

I confess to having always wanted a Featherweight in 6.5x55 Swede...IF I was ever forced to own a Winchester. ;) (of course, it would be 'CRF' ).

Jaywalker

Re the choice between the Browning and the USRAC/Winchester, I'd say the choice boils down to your interest level. The writer John Barsness thinks the Browning is a good rifle, right out of the box. It's accurate, the trigger isn't bad, and it's pretty light for carrying, though that may not be an advantage for soaking up magnum-class recoil. I do like the tang-mounted safety location. IIRC, however, the bolt shroud and some other parts may be less than sturdy (aluminum) and scratch easily, so it's not likely to be something that will remain unmarked. There are some unresolved questions regarding the longevity of some of the internal parts, also not steel.

The Winchester, OTOH, is steel and wood. That makes it slightly heavier, for good or bad (shooting or carrying). The trigger isn't quite as good and it isn't quite as accurate out of the box.

While all that looks like a vote for the Browning, it isn't for me. If you plan on getting any gunsmith work done for nearly anything, you'll find they know about the M70's, but not many do much work on the Browning. A gunsmith can make an M70 trigger a delight - much better than what comes out of the Browning box. I do like the M70's traditional (read "more expensive") receiver lug contact with the stock. Aftermarket parts for the M70, both to dress it up and to improve function are more readily available - such as the gorgeous, strong, and stiff one-piece machined steel bottom metal (floorplate and trigger guard unit). As for M70 accuracy, I'm still looking for a sub-MOA load, but I haven't found any load that's bad - all are around an inch and a half for five shots at 100 yards. The barrel came from the factory free-floated, so that helped.

So, again, it's what you want to do with it. I have one of the M70's in 6.5X55 with Williams bottom metal, though I considered the Browning. I couldn't see getting the Browning out of the safe just to look at it; if all you want to do is hunt with it, it should work fine.

Jaywalker