Browning A-bolt Varmint question

1BadF350

My local shop has a used Browning A-bolt varmint in .223 Rem. It has the BOSS system w muzzle brake, bull barrel, and heavy grey stained wood stock. Very pretty gun. I tied to research it online to find if their price was fair but can't find a compareable model. I found the same gun with thumbhole stock but I can't find the "non-thumbhole" version anywhere.
They are asking $550 for it. Is that a good buy?

Fremmer

Without researching that particular gun, it sounds like a reasonable price. Not a great price, but a reasonable price.

OPC

A-Bolt Varmint

That particular configuration (Laminated Varmint) has not been offered by Browning for a few years, so you are likely looking at date of manufacture around 2000.

The model you refer to with the thumb-hole stock is a 1000 Eclipse (which is not available in .223Rem in 2007), not a Varmint, so the price comparison is not ideal. Compared to NIB Varmint Stalker, though, with MSRP of $877 (without BOSS, which usually adds about $100), I would say it is a good price. If I recall correctly, the Varmint models (laminated wood, heavy barrel, BOSS) were carried by my local gun shop for ~$800 NIB back in the day. But memory is fuzzy.

-J

I am surprized that nothing was said about the Boss on the Browning. I bought one about 8 years ago in 7MM. Rem.mag. This rifle with the Boss adjusted properly and using my own handloaded ammo is one of my most accurate rifles. I bought it used for $449.00. :) I WAS TICKLED PINK WITH IT:) . It was one of the best rifles purchased for my collection. Although I am a Remington rifle man, I only have one A-bolt with the Boss system. When this system came out a lot of people looked the other way because they did not know how to use it or clean it. Mine has a wood stock of high quality and I have seen the Boss on several Bars but did not buy them because I would be duplicating calibers in rifles that I already owned. I have several Brownings in lever-actions and semi-auto Bars and have never had a problem with them. All my Brownings are super accurate and have never failed me. Don't be scared by the Boss if it was original and read the info on it first before shooting it. A lot of owners took them to the gunsmith and had the Boss system removed. Also check the twist of the barrel before buying it. You will enjoy it.:D