Browning 1885 LoWall Single Shot ?

Covert Mission

Hi... Any single-shot aficionados out there?

I have on lawaway a gun I like, but don't "need" (what the heck is "need" anyway ;) ). It's a Browning LoWall 1885 in .243 caliber (currently it's only offered in .260 Rem and .220 Swift, I think, weirdly enough). The gun is SO lovely in an old-timey way, and has a lovely piece (two) of wood. I LOVE the octagon tapered barrel, and it's a featherweight... I can imagine traipsing all over hill and dale chasing antelope with it next year.

I know single shots can be as or even more accurate than bolt guns. The fore stock on this is hung on a rod attached to the action, so the barrel is free-floated. I'm told this model is very accurate. Anyone here have any experience with them? This was on sale, marked down $200, so it was hard to pass up, since I'd coveted it even before that.

I'm nostalgic in part, and it appeals to me, as does the challenge of hunting with a single shot... get it right the first time (I'm not quite to the point of hunting with a Sharps .45-70, as my friend does). I think with the right bullet/load, .243 can be an effective round for antelope, sheep, or smaller deer, with 95 grain Ballistic Tips or even Partitions.

I'd appreciate any info anyone has to share on these, esp. regarding accuracy, potentially or actual. And of course on hunting with S/S rifles.

Thanks!

Covert Mission
pdowns@aol.com

PJR

The Browning Lo-Wall I owned was a .223 and it was very accurate cutting groups under 1" at 100 yards. I've also owned a Ruger #1 and much prefer the Browning.

The only issue was the hammer and having enough room between the scope to cock the hammer smoothly.

I don't own either rifle now. They were sold when the shotgun bug hit but I still think about the single shots particularly the Lo-Wall. In .243 it would be a great game rifle for the purposes you describe. Should I get back into serious rifle hunting again I might have to consider the .260 Remington.

BigG

Get it. What, you haven't bought it yet? Just kidding.

There is a Browning 45/70 single shot with the high grade engraving that really looks nice at the gun store down the road.

My first single shot back in the late 70's was a Browning Mod 78 single shot in 22-250--the forearm mounted like the one you describe--i busted a gang of crows with it so accuracy was good---my single shot now is a Browning 45-70 with octagonal/round barrel and tang sight--i'm in love with Brownings single shot rifles......Dick

Swamp Yankee

I found a used .22 Hornet 1895 Low Wall a while back. I had a Redfield Widefield 6 power scope without a home so guess what happened. The gun shoots very well. I love it for woodchucks. Only problem is its so pretty I'm afraid to hunt with it for fear of dinging it up.
As I understand it Browning will be dropping the low wall in the near future so if you have the oppertunity to buy now is the time.
Take Care

gary c coffey

I have a browning low wall in caliber 223. I absolutely love this gun. It sounds like you may be having some buyers remorse. If so, Just let me know. If the price is fair I will be happy to take it off your hands. Please feel free to E-Mail Thanks littleperk :)