Brought my little NEF out...

Rangefinder

It's been quite a while since I brought the little bugger out to play--so it was overdue. Heavy-barrelled .223 NEF Handi with a survivor stock and a Versi-pod bipod. One stupid flyer opened the group up almost double (operator error), but it's nice to see this thing shoots as well as I remembered. Here's 2 3-shot groups (or just 6 rounds sent, however you wanna see it) at 100yds from prone off the pod.

40gr Nosler Ballistic-Tips over 25gr. Varget with Federal SRP's in LC brass.

DSCF3851.jpg

Rifleman1776

Glad you like yours. I had one in .243 and could only get the first (cold) shot on paper at 100 yards. After that it needed almost an hour cool-down to get back on target again. I might have had a badly stressed barrel or something but it put me off the NEF one-shooters.

Rangefinder

Every once in a while there is a bad apple in everyone's batch. I have two NEF's: one in CF with a 12Ga. change out to Heavy .223Rem and one in RF currently with a 17HMR barrel. Both are ragged-hole shooters all day long warm or cold.

aarondhgraham

Are NEF and H&R the same company?

I ask this because I've seen rifles of both makes that are virtually identical.

I own two H&R Handi-Rifles (.22 LR and .357 Magnum),,,
Both of the rifles have very acceptable accuracy.

Aarond

603Country

Rangefinder, what did you do to smooth out the rough trigger? My Dad's NEF hvy barrel doesn't have what you might call a good trigger.

Rangefinder

Country>>The things are so basic in function, it's just a matter of tapping the few pins out so the hammer and trigger group come out, and polishing polishing the contact faces on the sear. 1500-grit polishing paper is your friend. Mine brakes like glass.

Backwoodsboy

Yes aarond, H&R and NEF are one and the same company, unfortunately I believe they are now owned and operated under the freedom group.(same company that now owns remington and marlin). As far as problems with the .243, mine is a tack driver.

bacardisteve

I had an ultra rifle in 450 marlin that was a blast to shoot and would make groups almost like that. Still kick myself for getting rid of it.