Broomhandle rebuilders?

Strayhorn

Friends -

I bought a Mauser Broomhandle a few years back when they were relatively cheap, intending to have Mentor Arms rebuild it. Of course, I got busy with other things and never got around to sending it to Mentor.

For the last week or so I've been trying to call Mentor at the last number I had for them - 404.257.2457 - but no one ever answers. It rings, but there is no answer and no machine. Is Mentor out of business?

If so, is anyone else rebuilding Broomhandles? It needs to be rebored/relined and a few internal parts.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Strayhorn

The brochure I got from them some time ago listed their location as Mentor, Ohio.

The original area code was 216, the 404 I got from directory assistance.

Jim Watson

Area code 404 is Atlanta, Georgia.
Try 440- etc.
That is the AC for the Lorain, Ohio area.

I have not seen a Mentor ad for a while.

Strayhorn

Yes, must to my chagrin, I did an area code lookup and found that the correct number is 440 for Mentor, OH. That'll learn me to trust directory assistance . . .

Anyway, I called the correct number and got a message that it's been changed to unlisted. So I guess we can assume that Mentor is out of business since I can't find a listing in the Mentor phone book. The book did list a "shooting supplies" store, but the fellow who answered the phone didn't have any info on Mentor.

Oh, well, I guess it's either Redman's or a place called The Gun Rack in Brooksville, Florida.

Anyone have any experience with either of those businesses?

Thanks again!

Jim Watson

Redman did an excellent reline on my Winchester 92, a rifle which started out a .38-40, and was poorly rebored to .44-40. He relined to .44-40. I'd have gone back to .38 but he was not doing that caliber then. It had been remarked anyway and by then I was tooled up to load .44-40. It has been my CAS main match gun ever since.

But I don't know if he does mechanical work besides barrel reboring or relining.