Broken collar bone...mental block?

Mike38

A posting on the semi auto pistol section about people with back problems shooting prompted me to ask this. About 5 years ago I got into a near death motorcycle accident. I actually quit breathing for a couple minutes, and they had to cut into my chest cavity to get me to start breathing again. Many broken bones, too numerous to mention. To this day I still have problems with a rib on my right side that will never mend itself. Also my right collar bone was shattered. Not just broken, shattered. No plate was installed, the bone was allowed to heal on it’s own. The diameter of the “healed” bone is 3 times that of the left side.

Yea, I’m a right handed shooter. I didn’t squeeze a trigger for 3 years. Then started shooting a .22 rifle and handgun. Then jumped up to a .223 rifle, and worked my way up to a .45 acp pistol. My problem is, I want to start shooting my 7mm Magnum rifle again, but I’m leery of the felt recoil. I’ve tried shooting left handed, and the old saying about a monkey and a football best describes that. For some reason I got it in my head that the recoil will re-break my collar bone. The rifle has a factory muzzle brake, and a McMillan stock with a good recoil pad, so that should help. Is there anyone out there with similar problems? Is it safe for me to shoot? Also, how does one over come the mental block? Just squeeze the trigger and hope for the best?

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Yeah, took a couple of years after reconstructive shoulder surgery before I dared try a rifle on my right shoulder. handguns I could do and a 22 didn't bother me but I was afraid of center fires. I finally tried it with my 308 wearing a shooting jacket and it was okay. Then the 7MM Rem mag and the 300 Wby Mag and still okay. This week I have been shooting my 10 gauge single shot break action shotgun with just a vest and sweat shirt and I'm going to do it again tomorrow.

Try not to think about anything but your sight picture and squeezing off a perfect shot. Before you know it you will have a group on paper and you will have stopped worrying about your collar bone. I will guarantee you have less felt recoil with your gun than I do mine. Time to crawl back on top of that saddle and ride that horse.

Jim March

My advice? Work your way slowly up the power level tree. With a bolt-action rifle and handloading, if you know what you're doing, that's easy. The other option is to borrow other people's guns, work your way up slowly. Start with, say, a 357 levergun, shoot 38Spl in it, then 38+P, then moderate 357, then full house. Then grab a 44Mag levergun, load mild 44Mag, then full house. Or use whatever equivelent guns/loads you can easily lay hands on. Probe your way up looking for trouble.

You may max out at a certain point, and maybe below 7mm. That's OK. Hell, one of the full-size 357 leverguns with a pad can take anything a 30-30 can take with the right ammo and you could do most of your practice in 38Spl. That wouldn't be a crippling limitation. Or CZ makes a nice boltgun in 7.62x39 (AK ammo) that's ballistically similar to the 30-30. Etc.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I suffered a similar amount of injury is a cycle crash, including broken right collar bone.

it also healed improperly. It re-broke many times with out medical attention due to hard landscaping labor. After the first couple re-breaks, I guess the nerves died in there and it didn't hurt much beyond a bit sore but arthritis is severe now.

I expect a high recoil long gun will easily re-break yours.

Brent

EdInk

I had a compond break of my left clavicle. It was push through the
skin.:barf: When it healed it formed a big calcium deposit. That spot is actually harder to break than the rest of the bone. You will be fine shooting your rifle. I shoot a rifle lefty and have had zero problems with .22lr, .223, 7.62,
12ga or any other caliber.

oneounceload

My advice is simple - ASK YOUR DOCTOR! NO ONE here knows the answer to your question - your doctor will have the best response. Go to a recoil calculator, print out what your rifle will generate and take it to him

KySilverado

FWIW, I've also broken my right collar bone. In a dirt bike accident. Shattered. It's been years ago. I shoot anything I want. Heaviest being probably my 45-70.

45Gunner

As macho as most think we are, we must listen to our bodies. If what you do is going to cause serious pain, or worse, don't you think it is time to say; been there, done that...thanks for the memories and move on to something else?

For me, I'm just thrilled to be able to shoot again. But to do something that would cause great physical discomfort after taking so long to recover from great physical discomfort goes beyond the scope of sensible. There are a lot of things I would have liked to have done and many that I would have liked to continue doing but life in a cast or with other physical limiting devices or surgeries is not something I would look forward to if I can help it and this would be one of those things within the scope of my control.

Mike38

A recoil calculator? I never knew such a thing existed. So I ran the numbers using the calculator on 10xshooters.com and here is what it told me.

Recoil Energy: 27.4 ft-lbs
Recoil Velocity: 14 fps

Now to a commoner such as myself, that seems like it would break the collar bone of the healthiest person alive, but obviously it won’t because I’ve shot this rifle before my accident. I printed out the page and will take it to my doctor for his opinions.

Thanks to all that replied.

draggon

The Dr doesn't need a recoil calculation to give you advice. Just needs to look at your Xray. The thickened healed bone (callus formation) may actually have remodelled into a stronger collar bone than you had.

Gbro

And then the Doctor might only give you a seat of the pants answer. How can he know if a 7mm Rem. Mag would injure you any better than some of the posters that have experienced very similar injury's.
Your shooting stance is a very big factor. A standing position would IMHO be the best 1st shot test and should only be done with one round in the gun. Anytime one is trying a new gun, or retrying like in your case(unsure of consequences) only one round should be used.
Good luck to you!
Keep us posted on your findings:)

RedneckFur

I'm no doctor, but I've broken alot of bones. What I know is that somtimes, A healed, broken bone is stronger than an unbroken bone. The calcium deposits are very hard.

However, if the mending of the bone fragments is weak or incorrect, there's the possibility that further injury could happen from shooting the rifle.

I'd recomend going to a doctor for a fresh Xray and ask about the strength of the bone. If he feels its as strong as original, you should be OK to shoot.

shortwave

Many years ago, my dad laid his bike down shattering his right collar bone. After surgery, he had a 'double' collar bone. He shot rt handed and when it came to shooting long guns was somewhat of a recoil junky.

After much healing, his doctor cleared him to start shooting again with cal.restrictions. Later he resumed shooting lg.cal's.

Get checked by a doctor

If cleared by doctor, maybe a 'Lead Sled' could be used for awhile gradually reducing the number of sandbags used therefore gradually increasing felt recoil.

Just a thought!

Last edited:

guntotin_fool

yes the pads help, remington also makes reduced recoil rounds that will help, but first find an orthopaed who shoots and talk to him, let him help you make the decision. An examination might show that any trauma to the site could be life changing, at the same time, it might just show that you are now superman for recoil only asking will tell

jdub1242

I broke mine pretty good during a race and havent thought twice about resuming normal activities. A lot of guys I know have broken the same one several times. Just rub some dirt on it and get back in the game.

Mike38

I want to thank everyone that replied here. I went out for a motorcycle ride today, (yea, the crash a few years ago didn’t teach me a thing) and happened to go right by my doctor’s office, so I stopped in to talk with him about this. He wasn’t in, but the Nurse Practitioner was there and pulled my files. She took a look at my X-rays from back then, and one taken a little over a year ago that I had totally forgotten about. After reviewing, and a few questions, it was her opinion that I should have no problems with the recoil. I even showed her the results from the recoil calculator. Just a few minutes after I got home, my Doctor called and said he also reviewed the info, and agreed that there should be no problems. He’s a goose hunter that uses a 10 gauge, so he should know about recoil. Looks like I’ll be just fine. I’m going to a 600 yard range here in a couple months and want to try my skills (luck) at some longer distance shooting. 100 yards with a .223 is fun, but 600 yards with a 7mm should be even better. It sure took a load off my mind getting two opinions like that, and the best part is, it didn’t cost me a dime. Thanks again.

riverwalker76

I would definitely look into a padded shooting shirt, and a limb saver pad before firing a 7mm Mag. My little brother took a 7.62x39 through the collar bone on the right side a couple of years back, and the Army had a special pad he wore during rehab that would allow him to fire his M4 again.

These days if they have it for the military it usually trickles over into the civilian side sooner or later.

The best I remember him describing it ... it was a spring equipped pad that slipped over the buttstock and took 90% of the recoil out of the process. Granted a .223 isn't much recoil, but if you've had reconstructive bone surgery it makes a world of difference.