Bringing a gun to work in NJ

chasep255

I have been working for my dad this summer and I want to take some people I work with shooting during lunch break. The only problem is that I live in NJ and the gun would have to come with me to work and stay in the trunk while working all day. I'm pretty sure this would be illegal where I live. The only reason I am bothering ask this is because I know there is an exemption in NJ law allowing guns in ones place of business.

hermannr

The way I read it, you would take the gun into the work place with you. If it is your dad you work for, that shouldn't be a problem? No? If the parking lot is owned by your dad, that should be covered for the same reason too.

If the parking lot is not owned by the business, I would guess you would need to bring the weapon into the business (with your dad's permission).

NJ is strange,,,only in your home, business and the range?

NJgunowner

NJ law is convoluted mess.

It basically says you can only carry it (in the trunk, unloaded, with unloaded magazines) from your home to the range making no stops, or only stops that are absolutely necessary. I do not believe he can "legally" take it to work as HE doesn't own the business. In NJ, dad owning the business probably wouldn't be good enough. Could be wrong, but I think I'm pretty close.

I'll PM you a site with better info and people who can probably answer it better. It's a website dedicated to dealing with NJ gun laws.

chasep255

Also when NJ laws says no other stops than reasonably necessary for the trip maybe one could argue that stopping at work is necessary in this situation.

chasep255 said:
Also when NJ laws says no other stops than reasonably necessary for the trip maybe one could argue that stopping at work is necessary in this situation.
This sounds like an excellent analysis of the situation ... for anyone who really and truly WANTS to get arrested.

Patriot86

New Jersey: The answer is NO state

Is my XXXXX handgun NJ legal? No
Can I take my gun XXXXX? No
Is XXXXX Ammo legal? No

chasep255

That is a terrible law. New jersey sucks for self protection.
Your right but I'm not even going that far. All I want is to be able to keep a unloaded long gun locked and cased in my trunk so I can go to the range.

Gus-gus

Patriot86 said:
New Jersey: The answer is NO state

Is my XXXXX handgun NJ legal? No
Can I take my gun XXXXX? No
Is XXXXX Ammo legal? No

When asked where do you live? "NOT IN NEW JERSEY" would be my answer.

I know it is extreme however I left California because of laws like that. I would leave the United States if it began passing weapon control laws like are oppressing the people of New Jersey.

Chase, I face the same problem when I go to the VA hospital. I life outside the west side of the city. The VA hospital is in town, on the west side. The range where I shoot is outside the east side of the city. Takes me half an hour to get to the VA from home, 45 minutes to an hour to get to the range from home, and maybe 20 minutes to get from the VA to the range.

I would LOVE to be able to pack a couple of guns in the back, go to an appointment at the VA, then proceed directly to the range. But ... the VA healthcare system is a "No Weapons Allowed" zone, backed by multiple sections of Federal law. So I have to go to the VA, then retrace my route back home to pick up the toys, then trek back across the city to go to the range.

Small wonder I don't shoot as often as I'd like.