Bring back aluminum cased ammo!

MrWesson

In the days where tiny single stacked CCW's and comparing them by tenths of ounces... weight matters.

Also double stacked guns carrying 15+ rounds where once again weight matters.

Anyone else feel that this is easiest way to cut weight?

Scimmia

Calculate it out. 15 rounds of 9mm brass weighs a total of ~2 oz. You're going to be talking about saving what, 1 oz in a full size gun? A few tenths in a CCW size gun?

zukiphile

They feel as if they weigh more when I get beaned in the head with one.

The psychological advantage to aluminum cases for me is that I don't fell as if I am leaving money on the ground if I fail to pick up a case. The disadvantage are ranges that will not let you shoot aluminum because you aren't leaving something as valuable in the ground.

lee n. field

In the days where tiny single stacked CCW's and comparing them by tenths of ounces... weight matters.

Also double stacked guns carrying 15+ rounds where once again weight matters.

Aluminum cases haven't gone away.

The difference between aluminum and brass (or even steel) is trivial. I'd far rather have reloadable brass.

EdInk

I'll shoot aluminum, brass or steel. Whatever is cheap for the range. If someone could develop an inexpensive functional plastic case, I would give it a try too. For actual carry, I prefer brass or nickel plated brass in handguns.

Kreyzhorse

I don't think you are looking at that much weight gain.... so no, I don't feel that way. If you want serious weight gain, carry a gun that weighs less.

MrWesson

I don't think you are looking at that much weight gain.... so no, I don't feel that way. If you want serious weight gain, carry a gun that weighs less.

I carry a PF9 so good to go in that dept and it was more of a thought as to why aluminum cased ammo "failed" in the market.. I know blazer still makes alum target ammo but stopped with JHP.

It failed because a lot of people want reloadable brass, and also because aluminum cased ammo is less reliable and for self-defense ammo (JHP, IOW), reliability is paramount.

B.L.E.

zukiphile said:
The psychological advantage to aluminum cases for me is that I don't fell as if I am leaving money on the ground if I fail to pick up a case. The disadvantage are ranges that will not let you shoot aluminum because you aren't leaving something as valuable in the ground.

Probably has more to do with the PITA of having to hand pick the aluminum cases out of a huge pile of brass cases before they can be sold to a metal recycler. Steel cases can quickly be separated with a magnet.
People who reload leave even less valuable metal on the ground.

C0untZer0

The only stovepipe I ever got in my BHP was with Blazer aluminum case ammo.

The extractor tore a neat little notch in the case but didn't throw it.

I would never practice with alum case ammo in a gun I count on for SD because it shakes my confidence in the pistol. My P7M8 was tearing notches in the cases too, but it has a different design and it was able to chuck the cases, but I stopped using it.

BTW Nut n' Fancy advocates aluminum case ammo for carrying because according to him, keeping the weight down on your carry pistol is the most important consideration.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Aluminum cases were developed to save money for those volume buyers who did not reload, specifically police, federal agencies and the military. Since aluminum is not as elastic as brass, reloading aluminum cases can create problems with cases cracking, so the makers of aluminum cases made them to be non-reloadable. (Some folks have tried getting around that, but it is a lot of trouble and not a good idea anyway.)

Saving weight was never a consideration, since aluminum cases were not intended for other than range use.

Jim

44 AMP

Staff
Don't care for aluminium cases. Will shoot them in revolvers, if someone gives me the ammo. Otherwise, no.

If regular ammo is too heavy for you, ...grow stronger!

mongo356

I read where aluminum ammo in LARGE quantities were causing problems with flame cutting the breech face. If I recall correctly the brass primer would expand at a different rate than the aluminum case and gas would leak around the primer pocket and flame cut the breech face.

I'm not sure if it was a temporary problem or not but it was on M4Carbine.net when someone went to an advanced armorers class.

Just tossing that out there Your-mileage-may-vary.

MrWesson

Saving weight was never a consideration, since aluminum cases were not intended for other than range use.

Why'd they make JHP then?

Not really a big deal just wondering why it wasn't around as SD ammo anymore with JHP and it seems I got my answer.

pvt.Long

I would never fire aluminum cartidges. If saveing barely even a microgram of weight will weigh you down you need to back away from the keyboard and go excersize more then your fingers. I have two weapons that I CC a .45 full sized 1911 high cap and a J fram S&W .38 / .357 mag. Only time Icarry the 1911 is when im on the rnch other times I carry my revolver. No one could even pay me to carry and or shoot aluminum cased ammo, even if it was givein to me.

Dondor

Weight saving with a lighter gun, or lighter holster, or lighter anything just doesn't appeal to me.

FWIW I am probably 15-20lb over what I need to weigh (healthy, not having the dunlap disease, or furniture disease, or spare tire). So a few ounces on ammo is nothing compared to that ring that resides over my belt.

Reliability in both cartridge and machine 100% is what I care about the most in guns.

Weight can be saved other places.

bikerbill

No aluminum, no steel ... I carry only brass ... had tons of trouble with steel, some with aluminum ... shot it up and now I only use brass-cased rounds ...