Bright Stainless Steel

James K

Member In Memoriam
I would be more concerned about a shiny gun reflecting light in a semi-dark situation. Like a light on the gun, the shine may very well provide an aiming point for the other guy, and right behind the gun is .... Get the picture?

Jim

jglsprings

Bright stainless is fine for carry. Unless it's structural damage it most likely can be polished out...

Before...

4366436142_bd798b01b9_b.jpg

After...

4368280361_a5ac9eea7b_o.jpg

It would be like carrying a nickel plated gun. If you like bright and shiny go for it.

Last edited:

lee n. field

Anybody consider carrying it for everyday social work or asking for trouble(scratches, possible damage)?

If it's going to be carried, it's a given that it will pick up signs of honest wear. It would not bother me.

dahermit

Overall, stainless guns will have a better finish after years of use than a blued gun. Minor wear of the stainless is not as readily apparent as is the blue on a blued gun.

buckhorn_cortez

I have a custom stainless 1911 that came from the gunsmith with highly polished flats on the slide. That gun would scratch if you looked at it too hard. Honestly, it had scratches just from carrying it in a pistol rug.

If you don't mind the "honest wear" look - which, to me, ruins the aesthetic of the high polish as it slowly turns it to a matte surface - then you're good to go.

I sent my gun to Robar and had them electroless nickel plate the gun - after they polished the scratches out of the slide flats.

Frankly, if you want a silver gun with polished surfaces having it hard chromed is probably the best route - although that scratches too as sand (or dust from sand) is harder than hard chrome on the Moh's Scale as the dust is really small quartz or silica particles.

My hard chrome 1911 has scratches in the hard chrome from dust in the holster and drawing / re-holstering the gun.

The most practical surface treatment on a raw stainless gun for pure utility of the finish is a matte bead blast - it hides scratches and can easily be redone.

tipoc

It won't get any more scratches than any other gun.

If you find in a few years that you don't like the look have it redone in a matte finish or re-polished. Colt will do either for you.

M
James K I would be more concerned about a shiny gun reflecting light in a semi-dark situation. Like a light on the gun, the shine may very well provide an aiming point for the other guy, and right behind the gun is .... Get the picture?

If you are concerned about that then use another gun for that situation. I can't shoot all my guns at once some are better for some jobs then others.

Plus, practically speaking, when was the last time you had to worry about being shot because your gun was too shiny? If it's not a daily concern maybe one shiny gun won't hurt.

Don't let worrying about what gun you will carry come the zombie 'pocalypse or the (what do they call that when all the good folks get lifted up to heaven except for you and all your friends and family and you're left behind to fight it out) anyway don't let concern about that stop you from buying a pretty gun that strikes your fancy today.

tipoc

AK103K

I bought a couple of used SS 1911's with highly polished flats, and matte on the radius's. The matte finish, while scratched a well, wasnt to bad, but the polished flats, showed the wear and scratches a lot more, and badly. I got both cheap due to how they looked. I bead blasted both to a matte finish overall, and the results were much nicer, and the later, accumulated wear, was a little less noticeable, but still more noticeable, than most of my carbon steel guns.

Ive had the same basic results with a couple of revolvers I cleaned up, and polished bright. The finishes quickly got beat up with just occasional use.

Ive always found SS guns, polished or matte, to show wear and scratches much easier, and more readily than carbon steel guns of any finish. A carbon gun with a hard chrome finish, is a much better choice, than SS. Same look, better resistance to rust and wear, and you dont have the galling issues some SS guns seem to have.

Over the years, the outward appearance of the finishes on the few SS guns that I carried, did not hold up as well, or as long, as the carbon guns to daily use. The SS did hold rust off better than the blued or parked guns, but not as well as the hard chrome or tennifer treated guns. The SS guns did rust/corrode, as did the hard chrome, but the HC was to a much, much, lesser extent. I have yet to have a tennifer treated gun rust at all. Blue and parkerizing, usually dont fare well, rust wise. Most all the finishes on the carbon guns I own/have owned, seem to be a lot more resistant to scratches and wear, than SS.

CZ9Joe

Dirty Harry carried a blued .44. You will be upsetting the cosmic balance of life if you carry a stainless gun.

TailGator

I carried a S&W 642 for several years, but a black gun might be a wee bit less noticeable when your cover garment flops around. The previous comments about polishing out minor scratches acquired during carry are spot on, though. Pick your poison.

T. O'Heir

Only real downside is the possibility of excess reflected bright sun light interfering with your sight picture.
"...Fashion Faux Pas after Labour day..." Only if your holster is dyed white. snicker.

Grant D

I have J frame snub's that are polished stainless, and nickel plated that I carry OWB under a untucked shirt..
I'm not concerned about it being shiny, because if I have to pull it from concealment, I will be firing at someone pretty quick. So shiny is the last problem I would be worrying about.
And minor scratches polish out pretty easy with Flitz, on both stainless and nickel.

WC145

I maintain my polished guns surfaces with Flitz products as well. I use their cleaner, polish, and wax, and they do a fine job of maintaining a bright, mirror polish on stainless, blued, and nickeled guns.

Overkill777

I like bright stainless steel the best. My model 66 handles wear better than any other gun I own.

To the people who say blued "conceals" better, if someone can see the color of your gun you haven't done your job of concealing it at all.