Brief Gun Show Report from Central Texas

HankB

Went to the Saxet show today.

1. Kahr's P40 is now shipping and in stock. Looks just like the P9. (Sorry, don't recall the price. The P9's were going for $419 and up. Hope these work better than mine did.)

2. New Beretta 92's are now under $400. (With low-cap mags):(

3. SIG's new P210's haven't been shipped yet, but are expected to arrive later this year and sell for around $2200. :eek:

4. Show is almost all dealers. The few - VERY few - persons selling personal collections have mostly junk, either off-brands or beaters. (Couple of decent wheelguns, though.)

5. Some ammo dealers obviously bought some of their stuff from Wal-Mart and marked it up. (Example: WIN USA 115 RNJ 9mm, $5.96 at Wal-Mart, $8.95 "SHOW SPECIAL.")

6. Lots of non-gun stuff, ranging from smelly beef jerky and odiferous (sp?) sausage to $8 laser pointers that project outlines of unclothed women.

7. Lots of Romanian binoculars & 'scopes advertised as "AS GOOD AS ZEISS!" Funny, Zeiss optics don't usually have blurred reticles and they don't impart a pronounced yellow cast to the scene when you look through them...and don't come with amber filters to make them look even worse.

8. A shipment of M98 Mausers must have been uncovered. Lots of what look like battlefield pickups that have been stored in a leaky warehouse going for $50 - $100.

9. Mag dealers obviously are buying from ads in Shotgun News from places like CDNN and just marking them up 100% or so.

10. Now the good news - new S&W's were few and far between.

How does this compare to shows in other parts of the country?

ChickenHawk

I assume you mean the Austin show, and you forgot to mention the guy hawking some new miracle wire-strippers. 3 for $10.00 back in the corner. :)

ChickenHawk

kjm

I went to the Kerrville gun show today and found it pleasantly improved. Used to be that they had a crappy selection, absurdly high prices, and aloof vendors. Today, the prices were about right, the selection was better than usual, and the sales people seemed a bit more interested in selling stuff and answering questions. It has finally become a gunshow for those who love gunshows. There is a thing about gunshows and I think most of the small ones, the dealers while wanting to sell stuff, usually just enjoy being among others with similar interests, and I've known some folks who buy a table and come back home with twice of what they took to sell. It's just the enjoyment of it all.

I bought a nice simple leather sling for my son's .22, and some ammo cans for my tools etc...

There was a guy selling knives he made out of farrier (horshoer) rasps (files) and they were some of the most beautiful knives I've seen in a long time. Maybe not practical, but beautiful so tomorrow I shall return to purchase one of them.

That's the Kerrville (TX) gunshow report!