Bren Ten revival

STAGE 2

Thanks God... I knew you were listening.

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/pistols.html#fortis

"Tucson, AZ - Feb 01, 2008 - Vltor Weapon Systems today announced the launch of the Fortis Pistol Project, a modern version of the famous Bren Ten style pistol.
Originally released in 1982, the Bren Ten pistol was designed to advance the state of the art in handgun technology. Designed to fill the need for a full size, full power, double action pistol, the Bren Ten created immense interest as a potent choice for law enforcement and military use.
Developed as a pistol and cartridge combination, the Bren Ten was the first production pistol to chamber the powerful 10mm Auto cartridge. In its original loading, the 10mm Auto was capable of launching a 170gr buller at 1,300 fps - generating over 600ft/lb of muzzle energy.
Unfortunately, the original Bren Ten and its successor fell victim to business management and financial problems - but the demand for a high quality American made, full size, double action pistol has still not been filled.

According to Eric Kincel, the General Manager for Vltor, the Bren Ten may have truly been a design that was ahead of its time; "Now is the time to make this pistol. With today's precision manufacturing techniques and the superior materials available, the Fortis will be a pistol line that is everything people hoped previous attempts would be."
Eric pointed out that the Fortis is nearly identical to the original Bren Ten in exterior appearance and ergonomics, but that some changes have been made to improve reliability, safety and strength. "The Fortis, while based on a twwnty-five year old idea, is very unique. It offers a high tech, high quality pistol that more than fills the demands for a full size, magnum power auto loader."

The first released Fortis will be a "duty gun", a full size, all steel, high capacity 10mm Auto that will reliably answer the call of professionals and sportsmen that rely on a good pistol. However, Eric is quick to point out that the Fortis Project is a line of pistols based on one common design. "There will be other versions of the Fortis...different calibers, sizes and options specific to certain applications." When asked if they intend on releasing a faithful reproduction of the original Bren Ten, Eric's answer was simply "We sure want to".

Fortis Pistol Proposed Specifications (subject to change in final production)

Manufacturer - Vltor Weapon Systems
Model - Fortis (original release)
Type - autoloading pistol
Operation - Semi-automatic, Double/single action
Caliber - 10mm Auto (others to follow)
Barrel length - 5.00"
Overall length - 8.75"
Height - 5.75"
Width - 1.30"
Weight - 38 ounces
Safety - reversible thumb and firing pin block
Sight radius - 6.88"
Sights - Adjustable, 3-Dot combat style
Rifling - 5 Groove, radiused, RH twist
Stocks - Engraved polymer panels
Capacity - 12 rounds
Finish - Black Steel Slide and Subdued Finish Stainless Frame"

DMK

Interesting. Hope they pull it off. I might be in for one if it works.

Wasn't the original Bren ten loosely based on the CZ75?

roman3

To be truly successful they will need to expand to other calibers but a true copy of the bren would be nice

HorseSoldier

Since CZ doesn't seem inclined to build anything for that market niche . . . I'll +1 the drooling.

Wasn't the original Bren ten loosely based on the CZ75?

Yes. It was based on the early "short frame" CZs if I'm not mistaken, though with some additional features like a barrel bushing not seen on any CZ models (until the 97).

Perldog007

A very righteous development indeed. The death of the bren was a sad event in the shooting world.

Of course their warranty will probably suck compared to a really great company like Hi Point. :D j/k [size=+2] JOKE!! DONT KILL ME [/size]

_digs_hole_and_jumps_in_

I have always been of the opinion that a steel 10mm DA other than the witness would really buoy the cartridge. Of Course formed that opinion back when Glocks were still suspect to many. It will be interesting to see if a quality American made DA 10 will make the cartridge more popular.

Have always like the idea of the EAA 10, but reports of cracking frames and problems with customer service kept the exercise to an ideal. Love Glocks, they just don't shoot all that well for me. My hands are wrong for them.

I'd better start saving now, this could be my first ten. Good find Stage2.