Breaking in and feeling out my CZ Custom SDP

MLeake

I really like this pistol.

This almost surprises me, as I thought I might want to change out the alumagrips; I have long fingers, and have always preferred the full palm-swell type grips on CZ (and other) pistols, but I really like the thin grips in this case. The skateboard tape may be a factor - in any case, the gun feels like it does not move in my hand at all under rapid fire.

I had heard the CZ Custom DA might be too sensitive for carry, but that was not borne out in shooting the pistol. It's smooth, but it is not really light, just kind of light. The SA has some creep and travel, but not too much, and the gun really shoots well.

I wanted to compare two of my favorite defensive ammo types, so I brought a box each of Federal HST 124 +P and Speer Gold Dot (SOC) 124. I also brought some Speer Lawman FMJ 124 that I had on hand.

I had previously run some Aguila FMJ 124 through the gun.

It shot all of them without a hiccup, and it shot all of them accurately.

I really like this gun.

Yes, I know, pictures are mandatory, so here goes:

IMAGE_26.jpeg

This is a shot of an ammo comparison test, shot unsupported at 7 yards, 10 rounds in each group. The left 8 and head were groups of GDHP (SOC) 124 - note that without a number to shoot at, the head group opened up a bit, but that is not the ammo; the right 8 and top 9 were groups of HST 124+P; and the bottom 8 was a group of Lawman FMJ 124:

IMAGE_23.jpeg

I put up another target at 5 yards for a rapid fire test, then loaded two mags with 8 rounds each of a mix of the three ammo types. I fired the pistol as fast as I could find the front sight, aiming at the X with the first magazine, then the center of the head with the second. Once again, note that the lack of a specific aiming mark resulted in a larger group on the head. Granted, this was only 5 yards, but I was firing at the fastest speed at which I could find the front sight:

IMAGE_24.jpeg

Did I mention I really like this pistol? It carries very nicely, too, whether in Sam Andrews leather or in White Hat hybrid.

Last edited:

IdahoG36

Nice shooting, and a nice looking gun.

I just took my new CZ 75b compact out the other day for the first time, and was grouping similar. I was impressed all around with it.