Breaking in a new holster

blackwaterstout

I ordered a new Tagua iwb for an M&P Shield. Its my first holster. The inside of the holster is very rough . I assume it will soften up and the rough textured leather will smooth up with repeated holstering. Is there any type of conditioner or oil that should be used on the holster. Maybe neats foot oil or a leather conditioner?

ibewbull

Rough

I have never had the issue. I am hooked on SIMPLY RUGGED holsters.
Have some Milt Sparks and a Bullman too.
I fear you will quickly wear the finish on your gun.
Oiling the holster will cause it to loose shape which will make it age and wear prematurely.
I would take the holster back and get a refund. Could be a bad day or just poor quality control. Worst case would be they cut cost by cutting corners.
Good luck in the resolution.

The only breaking in I have ever done is neutral shoe polish on the belt loops to stop the squeak.

Steve in WI

redneck

Oils and most leather conditioners make the leather soft. You will end up with a floppy holster that doesn't hold its shape.

Gum Tragacanth is a burnishing/edge slicking finish that can be used on the flesh side of leather to help smooth it out. It usually helps firm the the leather up and make it hold its shape as well. I get it here-
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/leather-dye/leather-finish/2620-140.aspx

Another option would be to rub some wax on the the inside. Not a lot though, you don't want it caked on as it could collect dust/sand etc. and scratch your gun.

Without seeing the holster in question, I would guess that its really nothing to worry about. M&P's have a very tough finish on the slide and probably won't show any wear at all from some fuzzy leather.

srtolly1

Most of the fuzz in question will be gone with use. If its a sturdy holster use it and blow the fuzz off when you take it off.

blackwaterstout

Thanks. I think it will be fine but you can get a look at the inside texture. I think that whatever they treat the leather with in order to stiffen it has just caused the rougher inside grain to feel rough. It will probably smooth out. Don't think its hard enough the cause wear on the gun but could be wrong.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383421441921.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383421441921.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 30

redneck

That doesn't look bad at all in the pic. I wouldn't worry about it. You won't find anything better without going to a lined holster, or one that is formed with the flesh side out like some IWB holsters are.

blackwaterstout

That doesn't look bad at all in the pic. I wouldn't worry about it. You won't find anything better without going to a lined holster, or one that is formed with the flesh side out like some IWB holsters are.

That's good to hear. As I said this is my first holster so I wasn't sure what to expect. Thanks.

BarryLee

The folks at Milt Sparks recommend Renaissance Wax for leather holsters. I’ve used it for a while and it seems to work well, also it’s good for a variety of other firearms applications.

Captains1911

I've learned through experience that other than periodically wiping dirt and grit off with a dry cloth, the best maintenance for leather holsters is no maintenance.

Kreyzhorse

Do not oil the holster. That will break the leather down. That is exactly what you don't want.

That fuzz isn't a problem. All holsters cause wear but leather is is the least abrasive.

If the holster is too tight, but the gun in it and leave it for a few days. You shouldn't have to put it in paper or any thing else to stretch it out.

Cowboy_mo

Can't say for sure about your holster, but denim jeans sure smooth out the "rough out" of of saddle fenders after lots of wet saddle blankets:D:D

With that in mind, use pieces from an old pair of jeans and rub the inner surface of your holster.