Breaking in A new barrel

RT

You opened a can of worms... I say, clean, then shoot a bunch, then clean again. Then drink beer and daydream about hunting

P-990

Clean it well, shoot it some, clean it well again, shoot some more, repeat.

Seriously, I have an AR with a stainless match barrel, never "broke it in" properly (heck, only clean it "properly" every couple of hundred rounds! :D ) and it will shoot under 2-MOA at 600. Actually, it will probably shoot 1-MOA, but I've never benched it to find out.

And this barrel has over 2000 rounds through it now too, FWIW.

taylorce1

I shoot 20-30 rounds and go clean it then go out and shoot 20-30 more and then go clean it again. Keep doing this for as long as I own the rifle and haven't had any problems yet. The one exception is if I have a rifle barrel that fouls badly then I clean every 15-20 rounds and use or as soon as accuracy falls off, after it is clean I give it about 100 strokes using JB Bore Paste. Eventually the barrels will smooth out enough that I can go to my normal 20-30 rounds.

ZeroJunk

The difference between some break in procedure or not is subtle at best, and you have no perfectly identical barrels to compare. For that reason a lot more is believed about the subject than is known

jman841

what caliber/type of rifle/ intended use?

with a bolt action that i will use for target shooting i will break them in with shooting then cleaning a few times. With semi Auto's such as my SKS, .22, or AR, a single range visit will have well over 100 rounds so the breakin to me is less important.

loverme85

I'm sure you'll get a lot of different opinions on the subject, but mine is that it is a waste of time. The only guns I've broken in properly were my Cooper JSR and Cooper VE, and that's just because they cost a lot of money, so I figured I'd do it. I have other rifles I inherited that I know were never broke in properly that shoot fantastic.

Catfish25p2000

I use a very scientific method and it really seems to be effective. I open the box, wipe all the factory gunk out of the barrel, then I shoot until I have shot all the ammo I brought with me, then I go home and clean the gun. This seems to be the best method of breaking in I have found.

mdd

Irish posted a link to the thoughts and opinions of a man, now gone, who had forgotten more about rifle barrels than most of us will ever know. Its worth the read.

Dannyl

Here is a good read on the subject of break-in. My personal opinion is it's a waste of time.

Hi All,
When I got my first rifle ( that is, not in the military but as a civilian) I did not know a hell of a lot about rifles other than military issue guns, and had never even heard about the need to break in a rifle.

While in the army, if you had a problem with yours, or when the unit armorer did an inspection and determined that it's time to replace it you went to the armory, where a new one was issued to you. you cleaned it, zeroed it and were good to go.

I have to say that I never did a break-in procedure of any kind with my Remington 700 (30-06) and 15 years later (with a lot of ammo fired) it has not let me down and it regularly groups 0.5" (as in each weekend) so Personally I do not believe that this is necessary.

However, I have to say that I have always made sure that I clean it as soon as I am finished with the shooting for the day ( until it is absolutely clean of any residue and copper fouling) but without any overly abrassive materials and methods. ( I use a combination of Shooters choice products with lots of elbow-grease)
Also, I make sure that I do not fire too fast so that the barrell never overheats. (I must always be able to grab the barrell without feeling discomfort, as a way of "guesstimating" the heat.

I am sure many will have different opinions, but IMO regular care is more important than a break-in procedure.

Brgds,

Danny

Last edited:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Dannyl's deal on shooting and cleaning is about the same as what I've been doing for some sixty years, with about the same results...

Picher

I will clean with a couple of patches of Shooters Choice, then shoot one shot, clean with a Shooter's Choice patch, then brush a couple of times, then a patch with a little Break-Free. I repeat that process five times, then shoot three shots, clean/lube, another three, clean/lube, then five, clean and lube. That's it.

I believe in leaving a light trace of copper in the bore, but no rough fouling and I NEVER shoot a barrel that's totally void of lubrication prior to the first shot. I always clean from the breech end; never pull a patch or brush back across the crown...and always use a guide.

Pac-Nor (from whom I'm getting my new barrel) and I agree on a lot, but not on coated rods. I use a highly-polished stainless rod.

tugboat

I just bought a JP-15 with a .223 Wylde, 18" medium contour barrel on it and am following the owners manual cause I don't know any better.
It says fire 10 to 20 rounds and than clean the bore using solvent and J-B bore compound which will have a mild lapping effect. Follow by mopping the bore using a clean cotton patch with a little more solvent. Repeat every 20 rounds for the first 60 rounds, than again after the next 300 rounds. The J-B compound is not necessary for every cleaning but will serve as an excellent copper fouling remover when necessary. I'm always using a guide.

Dannyl

Tugboat,
1. Nothing wrong with cleaning the barrel every 20 rounds, most people who shoot for tight groups do it anyhow.

2. I recommend that before you put any JB paste you first chat to a gunsmith or someone you know and trust that knows rifles, let them tell you either how to go about it so that you clean but not harm the barrel, and maybe why to avoid it. ( I am not asking you to trust strangers in a forum )

If you wish to hear about it from a person who is right now representing South Africa in a worlld competition held in the US, wait a week then call Mr Terry Harrison on +27214230465. (He is also one of the best gunsmiths in South Africa) he will tell you that he uses JB on a barrel once every 600 bullets only.

Brgds,

Danny

Head-Space

Winchester recommends:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=223

What is the recommended procedure for breaking in a new barrel?

For the first ten shots we recommend, if possible, using jacketed bullets with a nitro powder load. After firing each bullet, use a good copper cleaner (one that has ammonia) to remove copper fouling in the barrel. If you look into the end of the barrel after firing a shot, you will see a light copper-colored wash in the barrel. This must be removed before firing the next shot. Somewhere in the procedure at around shot 6 or 7, it will be obvious that the copper color is no longer appearing in the barrel. Continue applications through shot 10.

If you have any ammunition left, you then may shoot two rounds and clean it for the next ten shots. This is simply insurance that the burnishing process has been completed.

In theory what you have just accomplished is the closing of the pores of the barrel metal which have been opened and exposed through the cutting and lapping procedures.

The same process may be used with firing lead bullets and black powder to do the break-in procedure with the exception that in this case you should shoot 2 bullets before cleaning for the first 30 rounds. You could use harder lead if available. This will accelerate the break-in. This will accomplish the same thing as the jacketed bullets.

After following the procedure, your barrel's interior surface will be sealed and should shoot cleaner and develop less fouling for the rest of its shooting life.

tugboat

Thanks Danny
There seems to be a few ideas on using that stuff. One of the reason's I went with a JP rifle was John Paul (the president) is big in USPSA/IPSC shooting competition and that's where I'm wanting to migrate to.

James R. Burke

I think RT has it about right. I just shoot and clean like I normally do. Maybe some serious competion shooter has a certain method. Just like deer season. I go out with the wife and clean bores. We shoot a fair amount, and make sure there on, and get some practice. I go home clean them real good. Then right before season we go back out one more time, and take a few fouling shoots, let the barrels cool all the way down, and check them one more time. I then leave them that way till the end of season. I do wipe the outside off with oil daily till the end of season, and thats it. I do about the same with a new one. I do have a set amount I will clean at, just to make the job a bit easier, and of course for the accuracy. I never heard to much about barrel break in's till a few years ago, I am sure it been around for awhile but the net sure got it out there.