Break in time?

Oberg

I got a S&W Sigma around christmas and it fires winchester BES? white box fime but with blazer fmj or lead rn handloads it seems to jam alot. Is this most likely cuz the loads don't have enough power to load the next round? some stove pipping and some don't even come out of the chamber others with eject but wont chamber the next round. I have 200 rounds through it. Does it just need more rounds through it to loosen everything up? maybe not use round nose bullets? I've loaded new lead rn rounds at max charge and i'm going to try them to see if it makes a difference. but any ideas or knowledge would be welcomed.

drail

It jams because it's a Sigma. Trade it in for something else. It will drive you mad if you try to make it work reliably. I have seen so many Sigmas on the range that will not function. Brand new and repaired ones. I don't know what S&W was smoking when they came up with the Sigma.

.357 mag

I have 5000 rounds though my sigma 9mm and I've shot about 15 different brands of ammo with zero problems. I would trust it with my life any day of the week. I would do the pepsi challenge with any auto with within plus of minus 200 bucks of the cost of the sigma. Period.

As to the problem, Like one other person said, Make sure the gun is clean from the factory and put oil where its needed.

madmag

Keep in mind that FTF & FTE issues in semi pistols is often a matter of a small change between working and not working. Break-in can be a factor, but so can a too sharp transition (needs polish) between barrel ramp and chamber, or extractor too tight..or loose. And don't forget the mag. Make sure the spring is not reversed (180deg) or similar. And of course weak recoil spring.

Also, you can use some American Eagle or S&B or Fiocchi. They run a little hotter than normal FMJ.

Don't give up too soon. There are lots of $2K plus guns out there that have your same problem, especially when new.

Last edited:

Oberg

I have cleaned it and oiled it when i bought it and after every firing. It didn't jam on the better factory rounds just the cheapest blazers and my reloads. more so on my reloads and it kind of acted like my ar when i had handloads that didn't have enough power to cycle the action. but i'm at the top end of the reloading data i'm using

Oberg

And it must not of been that bad of an idea by S&W we just issued 20k or so to the afghan army.

ChicagoTex

I think your suspicions are on-track with your handloads, all your malfunctions could be caused by ammunition that recoils too softly for the gun. You may also be limp-wristing, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you're not.

The first-generation Sigmas were hopeless jam-o-matics, but the current breed is, from all accounts I've seen, quite reliable.

I've never personally fired anything that chokes on Blazers, but I've never fired a Sigma (much less with Blazers), so that's a little baffling to me.

Might I suggest you try some American Eagle 9mm? it's pretty affordable and Federal manufactures to a more consistent spec than most bulk ammos - if that runs well, tune your handloads and skip the blazers for that gun (or look into a lighter recoil spring, perhaps).