breach failt on a stevens s/s

scottd913

inherited a s/s Stevens tool co. 12ga. not sure of the model number but I'm sure its old, it does have the external hammer.
the problem is when test firing it the breach opens and on trying to fire left barrel it wont, ya have to re latch the breach every thing works fine except that. i was thinking of taking it down checking if there mite be a build up on the spring that keeps it closed maybe oil has turned into varnish not sure maybe a new spring is in order the hard part is ...because i live in town i cant just clean it and step out on back porch and fire it and would like to try and fix it the first i know I'm a dreamer lol. what should i look for when tearing it down?are there any signs or test i could do on the spring. the pin that holds the breach closed should i remove it and polish it so many questions running thru my head but we can start with that. i have no plans for it it wont bother me to have a wall hanger but i would like to take it and shoot it from time to time.

Scorch

Hmmmm. Side by side that has external hammers. That makes it pre-WW1, IIRC. Firing modern 12 ga shells may be overstressing it, or it might have been retired for exactly the reason you are talking about. Taking it apart is a great way to make a box gun.

scottd913

would really like more information I'm OK with a wall hanger but if this could be fixed.... who wouldn't like one more shootable gun!

what about some sort of cleaner if the pin that holds the breach closed is sticking would that be helpfull?

buy the way if i were to take the gun apart i am sure i can put it back together after all it was put together by human hands ...last time i looked thats what i have:eek:

Last edited:

Bill DeShivs

Have the chamber length checked by a competent gunsmith. Guns chambered for 2-1/2" shells will shoot a 2-3/4" shell, and cause drastic pressure rise. This can cause the gun to open (or blow up!)

scottd913

going back and looking i was shooting some winchester heavy load 1oz 1350fps 2 3/4 #7 loads ....maybe a little to much ya think?:eek:

James K

Member In Memoriam
AFAIK, Stevens had not used the name "Stevens Arms and Tool Co." (with the word "Tool" spelled out, since 1915, so the gun is certainly not made for 2 3/4 inch shells and may even have Damascus barrels.

I suggest an honorable retirement for the old and loyal servant.

Jim