Brasso ?

rebs

Has anyone used Brasso polish in their vibratory brass cleaner ? Or what else have you found to clean brass cases ?

dahermit

Conventional wisdom has held for years that Brasso contains Ammonia that will weaken brass.

It was, however the product of choice in the Army to clean and polish brass.

Don P

It has ammonia in it don't use it. You can use fine automotive polishing compound. Auto Zone, Wal-Mart, O'reilly's.

50 shooter

In the military we polish brass that we wear not shoot. Brasso does a good job on it but isn't used on any brass that goes into a weapon.

There's plenty of polishes out there that don't contain ammonia.

The ammonia contact is bad for brass over time. We had a member who polished a bunch of ammo on machinegun belts with Brasso that he had on the wall of his room as a teenager. It was all put in a trunk when he left home, and he didn't see it again for 20 years when he pulled the trunk out for a look at his old things. He said the cases were badly corroded and enough were eaten through that powder was spilled all over.

The type of damage caused is the same as what is called "season cracking". The Wikipedia article on the subject describes it well enough.

Other brass, like buckles, don't have a problem because it isn't under great stress. You'll note season cracking usually starts at a case mouth and neck, and that's because of the stress from being stretched over a bullet. But if the brass is work-hardened, like the lower part of a case, eventually that stress will crack the brass, too, if it has been weakened by ammonia.

joed

A long time ago when I first started reloading I used brasso on my brass. Never did any harm to cases I fired over the season as by the end of this season I'd throw them away.

Now, brass that I loaded and stored was another story. When I tried shooting the stored ammo every one of them had neck cracks.

I won't use anything ammonia on cases anymore. Couple years ago I had a group tell me I was nuts and that they use it all the time. To each his own, but I won't use it.

Snyper

FLITZ makes a polish for just that purpose.
It only takes a small amount and helps keep dust down.

http://www.flitz.com/tumbler-reloading-media-additive/

Will not harm ANY METAL or Primer and will not stress brass. No Ammonia. No Buildup. Flitz Tumbler Media Additive is suitable for corn cob, walnut or other media. Cuts tumbling time in half and cleans, polishes, and protects brass & nickel. Flitz Tumbler Media Additive is an eco-safe product.

Chainsaw.

Interesting this came up, just a day or two ago I was looking through my chemicals shelf and saw brasso, I wondered how it would do a tumbler, glad I didnt use it.

Ricklin

RCBS sells a polish that can be used. My cases are "pretty" after going through the vibratory tumbler using the stuff from RCBS.

But it's just a bling thing, as long as they are clean, it don't much matter.