Brass screw breakage

Broke two #3 5/8" long brass screws while screwing them down into a pre-drilled piece of oak. Anyone else have experience with the fequency of brass screw breakage?

Pahoo

A bad screw !!!

Broke two #3 5/8" long brass screws while screwing them down into a pre-drilled piece of oak. Anyone else have experience with the fequency of brass screw breakage?
Gary,
Likely, a flat-slotted brass screw and it broke before the bit slipped out of the slot ??? understanding your skill level, NO
I'll question the quality of the screw and not your method. I have encountered brass screws that were not tempered well and some of these were very old. ...

Be Safe !!!

Pahoo

A bad screw !!!

Deleted; Duplicate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Smoke & Recoil

@ 4V50 Gary, if you are talking about brass wood screws...you want a tapered pilot hole...akin to a sharpened pencil. You can find tapered wood bits from the likes of Home Depot and such.

FrankenMauser

I have a long history of breaking brass screws - wood screws, in particular.
For most wood screws, I pre-drill a hair smaller than minor diameter.
But for brass, as long as I can get away with it in the application, I pre-drill just larger than minor diameter.

I still break as much as 10-15%.
Normally, the head snaps off. Occasionally, they break somewhere in the threads.

603Country

I generally predrill, then use a steel screw, back it out and then the brass screw with a bit of soap or candle wax. Of course you need an assortment of steel screws, which I acquired. I hate breaking a small brass screw when installing hinges on a small fancy wooden box.

Pahoo

Yes !!!

@ 603Country, your method of using steel screws first is a great idea...I'll sure give that one a try myself.
I have assembled a few M/L kits and they all came with a set of steel wood screws as well as brass. The intent to assemble with the steel and replace the steel with the brass, as a finishing step. Some folks don't get it and have seen finished kit guns with steel screws. ... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Screw snapped off below the head. Screw was brand new.

Good idea about the steel screw as a starter.

I guess I'll drill a slightly bigger hole.
Wax as suggested
Treat as a tap. One turn in, half out, one turn in, half out.