Brass scopes

Bob Thompson

I've been searching the web for a "new" long style brass scope for my Sharps replica without any luck. Navy Arms used to sell them but they are no longer listed. Dixie Gun works has a short version but not the long one (32 inch). Has anybody got any suggestions. I still love my vernier sites but my eyes no longer do. Thanks much for any help. Bob

Try Autauga Arms
740 E. Main St., #13
Prattville, AL
877-359-9546
334-361-2950

They use to sell the 32" brass telescopes for $119.95.

Good luck!

Jim Watson

Is Autauga even still in business?

Anyhow, those cheap brass scopes' optical quality runs from poor to fair. I saw a Hesco at a gun show several years ago that was not bad at all. But the vendors had made their own mounts for it, the brass brackets sold with those scopes are of low quality even for pipe fittings, not to mention a gunsight.

The good ones made by RHO and MVA are as good as the small diameter allows, glass and mount, but they are very expensive, $800 and up.

Bob Thompson

Gary and Jim, thanks for the quick reply. Seems like Autauga might be gone. Can't log on to their web site and an e-mail came back "undeliverable' R.H.O. mounts are sure fine but very costly. An e-mail just came in from Dixie Gun Works and they will have their long scope available in about 6 months. I understand it is pretty good quality but don't know about the mounts. The scopes run about $250. Has anybody seen these DGW scopes firsthand? Maybe I'll just get some diopter glasses. I can still ring the steel plate out to about 300 yards but boy its getting harder. Thanks guys. Bob

Bob, I'm ashamed to say but I bought a 32" brass scope from Dixie years ago for a project I wanted and never even removed it from the box. No I'm not sure where it is. :( I must finish the book so I can get on with life.

Bob Thompson

Gary, if you stumble across it and want to sell it give me a jingle via e-mail from my profile. Like you this is just a fun project. I really enjoy shooting the Sharps replica out in the desert at long ranges. Both BP and smokless. I've developed some really nice duplex loads just carefully experimenting with the chronograph. I shoot 45-70 foir versitility. Also shoot this caliber in my Marlin 1885 Cowboy. Thanks again for responding and am enjoying your "rambling anecdotes" , the book should be real good reading. Bob

gunsmither

Long Dixie Brass Scope

I installed one of those long Japanese Dixie scopes for a customer a few years back on a TC hawken .50 cal. I believe he paid about $250 for it.

It had two #6/48 screws per mount to drill and tap. It was well made in my opinion, but the cradle type mounts were a bit awkward to adjust to boresight. It looked really neat.

The owner reported back that he loved it, and was able to shoot some some great groups with it.

Bob Thompson

gunsmither, thanks much for the input. I will probably try one of the long models when they come in to Dixie, they are waiting for some also.