Brass polish - which automotive applications work?

Jager1

I know this has likely been discussed before, but I need a refresher.

I am using Dillon polish and it works great, but lets face it, it is just procured somewhere else at minimal cost and marked up to oblivion. Mike drives a nice car.

Having went to the store the other day, I opened a few dozen automotive polishes that all contained ammonia (which is a big no-no). About half of them had the paper seals and I refused to allow myself to open them so they may not contain ammonia...still, most of them probably do.

Which automotive polishes can be used or what other alternatives have you discovered that get the job done as good as or better than "Dillon" polish?

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
Jager, I use the Armorall liquid. Now, there are some others also that do not contain ammonia but I forget which ones they are. We did a thread on this a few months back, and I mentioned then that as I was "testing" (I lifted some seals :D)Armorall was the first I came to so I stopped there and used that. Some of the other posters had found a few others that were ammonia free also.

tonyz

Turtle wax liquid wax in the yellow bottle. It is what I use works great especially If I add a very light cutting compound.

Best Tony

Hot Core

Hey Jager, I've been using liquid "Kit" for a long time and have not had a problem with it.

One of the Vendors at our local Gun Shows uses good old paste style DuPont #7. He uses it in a tumbler that runs all during the Gun Shows. The cases he has in there are old LC Military cases and they look like the Brass Buckle on my old MARINE uniform, spotless and bright.

I just like the liquid because it seems to distribute itself throughout the media a bit faster.

Nearly forgot. One of the Vendors just uses the old Hoppe's #9 on his media. BUT, I think he is trying to sell the #9 along with the media. His cases do sparkle, but the car wax is definitely less expensive.

Kind of like getting the right brew in your hand to watch Catherine Bell on J.A.G. with!!! ;^)

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

TEXAS LAWMAN

I believe one individual said he uses BLUE CORAL Liquid Auto Polish from WalMart--I couldn't find any there so I bought the 2001 stuff--can't remember exact brand.

Troy

Carnuba wax is the main ingredient in most case lubes and polishes. Virtually any carnuba wax polish without ammonia will work great for polishing brass.

-Troy

ARshooter

When buying an alternative to the high priced polishing liquids offered by the shooting industry, are we looking for a polish or a wax? I would think that a polish is what you would need.

Steve Smith

I just tried some Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax last night on about 400 cases. They look really nice! I called the company to make sure that it had no ammonia...it didn't, so I used it.

Jager1

I smelled the Mecguiars, 2001 and Nu finish and they all smelled like they contained ammonia.

The Blue Coral, Armorall and Turtle Wax yellow bottle all had seals so no sniffing allowed.

I'll do a search and see if I can locate the string.

I have to echo AR shooter who asked if we should be using waxes instead of polishes. Who knows? Maybe the wax could react with the powder adversely.