Brands of dies--differ big or small?

Sevens

We often discuss the merits of a particular brand and I think we call agree that Lee products are the cheapest stuff out there. For some folks, it's just not good... for others, it works quite well. I've tired a number of different Lee products with varying opinions on how well they've worked. Most of my bench is comprised of Lee products and I've been rolling my own off and on since '88.

What I'd like to hear now is some opinions on dies and die sets with regards to any and all brands. Because I started with Lee, and I'm frugal, I've always used them and I've never used a single die from anyone else. I have no preconceived notions about other brands of dies -- I just can't find them for the same price as Lee dies, so all the 7 calibers that I load are done with the inexpensive red stuff.

Of course, I don't shoot matches or go for bench rest records. I can tell you that all of the ammo I produce performs up to my standards, which is obviously not the same as anyone else's standards.

But if there are some folks who've used more than one brand of dies, I'd like to hear how they compare, or what you feel they offer over another brand. While there are many of us using Lee products, you sure don't see them in use when you catch the rare magazine article on the subject of reloading.

Trapper L

Handgun dies I like the Lee the best. I always buy the four die sets. I find the bullet seat adjustment far better than any of the others as I often change seating depth. Rifle dies I use nothing but RCBS. I've had others and have had problems. The RCBS I've had problems also but their customer service is hard to beat. Generally, I'm not down but a day or so. Others I have had problems with, it took weeks for them to get the dies back, inspect them, and ship a correct set back. I don't have time for that. I also do not have any Lee rifle dies and have never used any. I haven't found a reason to change my habits.

swmike

I've been a fan of Lee Dies for over 30 years. Recently though, I bought a Dillon XL-560 and found that the Lee Sizing/de-priming dies were too short to use easily. They are skimpy on thread length and the only way to get the die to touch the shell plate is to put the lock-nut on the bottom of the toolhead. Not that easy to reach when adjusting.

I have loaded .223, 9mm, 30-06, 257 Roberts, 243, 38/357, using their dies and can't say that any of them didn't perform.

Dogbuster

I have a combination of RCBS and Lee .I perfer the RCBS dies for full length resizing and bullet seating . However , every Lee die I have used has worked very well . They don't have the finish RCBS and Redding have but they produce good ammo . I have one set of Horniday dies and I don't like them . The finish looks good but they rust .I just don't have this problem with Lee and RCBS .I also don't like the way the decapping die holds the decapping rod / ball in position . I like RCBS much better .Redding looks good to me but I don't have any of them .

jhansman

I have mostly Lee dies (rifle and pistol) which work excellently, IMHO. I do, however, use RCBS .357 mag dies for my mild plinking ammo, as I can seat and crimp in one step. On a single-stage with a couple hundred rounds, this is a real time saver.

Sevens

I've found that the decapping pin on Lee sizing dies is pretty damn tough... I don't hear of people ever snapping them, and they are designed to slide up out of harm's way when put under too much pressure. Furthermore, I've decapped hundreds of LC 5.56 brass with supposedly crimped in primers and my decapper hasn't ever protested.

On the other hand, I just recently got my Lee collet neck sizer die in 8x57 and it's proving itself to be a tremendous pain in the ass. It won't size the neck down tight enough to firmly grasp a bullet, and a quick read in the instructions basically tells me it's designed that way, and I'll either need to shape it myself or send it off to them if I want it to actually work properly. Which I have concluded is absolutely ridiculous. This marks the first time in seven calibers that I've had any sort of disappointment in Lee dies. To add insult to injury, you can't buy just the collet neck sizer in 8x57 -- you need to buy some two die-set with a dead-length bullet seater that I didn't realize I needed.

Do I need a dead-length bullet seater? The other one works just fine.

Tim R

I bought a set of Lee 38/357 dies many years ago. Sizing felt like running sand up and down the cases. I bought a set of RCBS carbides. These feel smooth as glass when sizing. I can hear a "pop" when the primer is pushed out from the air inside the case being released. I gave the Lee's away and have RCBS carbides for 9, 40 and 45 ACP as I added those calibers. I bought a set of Hornaday 38 super dies off flea-bay for a song and will have to try them one of these days.

jdmick

Sevens, I know what you mean with the Lee Collet dies. The theory is they don't want you resizing the neck larger when you seat the bullets. My 30-06 dies were also too loose. The solution isn't too difficult though. I put the decapping rod in a drill and finished it down just over .001 with some 600 grit sandpaper and it works like I want it to now.

FALPhil

Sevens,

I have several sets of Lee Deluxe rifle die sets with the collet neck sizer. They are a pain to get set just right, but there is a pretty wide latitude for adjustment. Keep fiddling with them, and you will eventually get it set correctly. My first attempt, I got the neck so tight, I had to force the bullet in and was shaving jacket.

For my precision bolt guns, I use the Lee collet neck sizer, and about every 3-4 loadings, I use a Redding body sizer. Got this tip from a fellow over on reloadersnest.com. So far, it seems to be working very well.

Linear Thinker

I am very fond of Lee dies, they have unique features such as the collet neck sizing, and products that no-one else has, eg. Factory Crimp dies.
Bad points: the decap rod/pin design is cheesy and the steel they use rusts easily.

I like Dillon pistol resizing dies, the spring-loaded decap pin is the best design out there. Good fit/finish.

I like Redding dies in general, and use their comp seaters in almost all calibers I load. Redding's fit/finish is the best in the industry.

I still use the Lachmiller dies for several rifle cartridges, they were very well made.
LT

Sevens

I'm baffled as to how I might shave .001" of metal around a mandrel without totally effing up the die. Have I got this completely wrong? Am I shaving down metal around the post that the neck sizes on? Or is it something horribly easier, like lopping .001" off the decapping pin where it rests in the flash hole?

$5 to Lee sounds like it makes the most sense... except it makes ZERO sense to me to buy a product, then subsequently ship it off and pay the manufacturer to make it work!

jdmick

I'm baffled as to how I might shave .001" of metal around a mandrel without totally effing up the die. Have I got this completely wrong? Am I shaving down metal around the post that the neck sizes on? Or is it something horribly easier, like lopping .001" off the decapping pin where it rests in the flash hole?
I'm no machinist but I managed to grind the .001 off with no problem. The main area you have to focus on is the top portion of the pin where the collet squeezes the neck against it. The neck will spring back slightly so you don't have to grind off quite as much on the lower portion. Just measure frequently and don't use 60 grit sandpaper and you'll be fine. Really.:)

SDDL-UP

I have to laugh when I think about this because most of my loading is done with Hornady dies and my "BEST" dies (Redding) are for my "LEAST ACCURATE" gun... a 7.62x39 AK!

Hornady and Redding use titanium carbide in their pistol dies, used side by side it is smoother than the tungsten carbide used by RCBS.

I like the tapered expanding button used in Hornady dies better than the expader ball used by Redding and RCBS. Hornady even makes their expander to fit RCBS dies last time I checked.

The Hornady and RCBS dies are "in the white" they will rust, Redding dies are chromed on the outside and that's much nicer.

My dies are mostly Hornady (9mm, 38 SPcl./357, 40 S&W/10mm, 45 ACP, 7mm Rem. Mag., 308 Win., .30-06 Spr.). The rest are RCBS (40 S&W/10mm, 223 Rem., 243 Win., 250-3000 Sav., 270 Win., 308 Win. Match) and Redding (7.62x39, but those 250-3000 Savage dies might be Redding dies too). I've never used Lee dies.

Generally speaking I like Hornady dies for most stuff. I like the RCBS Match dies, but think the Redding dies are probably a bit better, in finish if nothing else (I have yet to try them). I really do NEED to get Redding match die sets for my 308 Win. and 7mm Rem. Mag. might not notice a difference in my rifles, but I'm sure it won't hurt!

BigJakeJ1s

Redding carbide pistol dies are titanium carbide (as opposed to tungsten carbide used in most other "carbide" dies). All Hornady pistol dies are titanium nitride coated, which is a molecularly bonded coating like the golden coating available on some high speed steel drill bits, router bits, etc. Both work very well, but they are different.

I really like Hornady's seating dies. They are the only ones to combine: sliding alignment sleeve, optional micrometer adjustment, crimp while seating capability and disassembly/reassembly for cleaning without affecting the settings.

Andy

SDDL-UP

Thanks for the correction BigJakeJ1s.

I was thinking Hornady also used titanium carbide, but titanium nitride coating it is! I might have to try a set of Redding pistol dies to see if they are as smooth (or smoother) than the Hornady dies.

tuck2

I started reloading back during 1953 and have 30 some sets of dies. I have tried out all of the brands. The last set I ordered was Redding 17 Fireball dies and I will get a Lee neck sizeing die for the Fireball. I think that all of the die makers are putting out a good product but I would only get the Lee neck sizeing die.

crazylegs

I agree with BigJake. The Hornady New Dimension seating die is very, very good. My favorite. Hornady is my favorite die brand (for pistol, I don't know about rifle). The sizing die also works very well. These replaced my Lee dies except for the FCD which I had Lee do one WITHOUT the sizing ring. I'm very pleased with my die set-up.
Crazylegs.

crowbeaner

I have dies from just about every maker. All work like they're supposed to, and I've loaded good ammo with them all. When I go to a gunshop or show, I always look at the used die sets to see what is there. I tend to buy RCBS when I find them because of the warranty. I just finished loading my 30/06 ammo for the next few years, and it all went through my RCBS SB set. It looks and chambers great, and will probably be more accurate than I am. CB.

jamaica

The Lee dies are a good bargain. I don't have any rifle dies in the Lee brand, but their pistol dies are fine.

I just recently bought a set of 3 RCBS dies for 44 Spl/Mag. They are a beautiful set and do a fine job. They were ten bucks more than a set of Lee dies. The thing that swung the deal was that they were available the day I wanted them.

I don't really like the lock rings on the Lee brand. Other than that I have no problems with them. I prefer lock rings with a set screw, so they stay put when you remove them and will will still be set next time you use them.

On pistol dies, the decapper may be with the sizer die on some brands or as part of the expander on other brands. I don't see as it matters any.

On the Lee dies the expander is hollow and you can load your powder when you have the casing up in the die. This feature is of no use to me. It may have been good if the die had been tapped so the powder measure could be mounted on the die?

I have used Herters, RCBS, C&H, and Lee dies. All do what they were designed to do.