Brand new Starline brass

Vance

So I bought a huge box of 9mm cases when they had them on sale. They are so clean that you have to lube the cases before loading so they don't get stuck on my powder funnel in my XL650. I am just curious if tumbling them in my tumbler filled with corn cob media that has polish in it would do the lubing enough so they don't get stuck?

It might, but you also might need a relatively coarse polish. You could turn a bore brush inside them to rough up the mouth. Another strategy is to dip the mouths in powdered graphite so the graphite builds up on the Dillon drop tube and negates the need for more. An easy way to do that is to mix the graphite with alcohol to make a slurry and apply or with a cotton swab to the inside of the case mouths. Let it dry, then load.

LE-28

Something else that works is to use a Lyman M-die on them in your press before loading them.
Take all you dies out except for the resizing and Neck sizing die and run them through.
Or stand them up in a pan. Spray them with case lube and resize and neck size them with your Dillon PTX.
Then run the cases through the tumbler again to get the lube off before you load them.
That's about it.
My Hornady PTX does the same thing so I use a Lyman M die on them before loading them when I realize they are to clean.
The last thing you want to do with 9mm is leave the lube inside the case and load them.

Your asking for setback in a major way if you do.

With 9mm, I want all the neck tension I can get. I'll run them through the tumbler a second time before I load them to make sure of that.

jag2

Certainly worth a try, that’s how we learn. I have done it and do think it will help. Conversely, sometimes I use mineral spirits with my corn cob media and it seems like it strips the brass and they tend to tarnish rather quickly. Also agree with AB, a little One Shot would help. Put a couple of hundred in a plastic bag, a couple sprays then shake them around.

mikld

I believe it will only be be needed on brand new, extra clean brass. I clean my brass in cob blast media with a bit of auto polish/wax and for most handgun reloads no lube is needed (some 44 Magnum brass can be a bit harder to size so a bit of lube is often used.). Really clean, nekkid brass has a tendency to "grab" when sized and after shooting, carbon impregnated in the brass acts like a "lube". One reason I don't wet tumble; brass can come out too clean... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
jag2 said:
Also agree with AB, a little One Shot would help. Put a couple of hundred in a plastic bag, a couple sprays then shake them around.
I don't think we're talking about the same One-Shot. I specifically mentioned the aerosol. That goes on as a mist and dries almost instantly. If you put a couple of hundred cases in a bag and give them a couple of sprays with the aerosol, you'll end up with about 195 cases that didn't get lubed.

The pump One-Shot, on the other hand, is a liquid that may get distributed around by shaking the cases in a bag ... although it's intended for use with a lube pad. But the liquid One-Shot never dries, so it gums up your dies faster and you need to wipe down the cases after loading. The aerosol is much cleaner to work with, and you don't need to wipe it off the cases after loading (although you can, if that's what floats your boat).

I don't think the aerosol would be adequate for resizing bottleneck rifle cases, but for straight wall handgun rounds IMHO it's the only way to go.