Brand New Glock 19

TunnelRat

Hey all,
So I just did what I thought I would never do, I bought a Glock. I have been a Glock naysayer for a long time, but after handling and shooting a Glock 19 I joined the crowd and plan to use it as my carry pistol. I picked it up today, was going to get a used one but it turned out to be pretty worn, and all the magazines were 10 rounds and I live in a state that isn't restricted in that way. So I went with new. Anyway, I notice what looks like copper along the rails inside. Is that just what Glock packages them in? Also, I use CLP as my cleaner/lubricant. Will I need to pick up something like Hoppe's to clean it? Forgive my ignorance, it's my first Glock.

-TR

DBLAction454

I find the Ballistol is a much better solution to use than CLP. Plus glocks run flawlessly pretty dry anyways.... Try rubbing it off the rails a little bit...could be rust from being stored for a long period of time (even though its brand new)

cajun47

" I notice what looks like copper along the rails inside. "

yea i think thats the lube they come with. the manual should tell you if you should remove it. i can't remember. but yea thats very normal. its not rust lol....a glock rusting.....lol. maybe if you stored it in salt water for a few years you might get a little surface rust. maybe.

Ambishot

No rust

It's an anti seize lubricant that Glock puts in their guns. It's ok to leave in for break in.

Enjoy the 19!

From GlockWorld.com:

"#23 - HOW CRUCIAL IS IT TO LEAVE THE COPPER FACTORY LUBRICATION IN PLACE?
Glock applies the copper lubricant known as "Fel-Pro", which is an automotive anti-seize compound, to the rear underside area of the slide of all new Glocks. Word is that new Glocks should be "broken in" (200-500 rds) with this copper lubricant.

Certified Glock Armorers are told that it is permissible to remove the copper lubricant on new Glocks. However, if you do decide to remove the copper lubricant, it is advisable to clean your handgun thoroughly then lubricate it before shooting it (3 drops where indicated) with a quality product intended for firearms."

http://www.glockworld.com/content.aspx?Ckey=gw_gfaq

TunnelRat

So I can just run it straight from the box for the first few hundred rounds? Now that is different from what I am used to.:D

Uncle Malice

So I can just run it straight from the box for the first few hundred rounds?

I have never cleaned or lubed my G17 OD since I bought it new. I put a Ghost Rocket connector, extended mag release, and extended slide lock in before I ever shot it. It's currently at about 1900 rounds. I'm just letting it go until it has it's first failure of any kind. I suspect it will probably be ammo related.

Will Beararms

If the citizens can't own high capacity mags then no one else including the military or Law enforcement in that state should be able to either. Who the politicians in your state think they are? Kings? Sorry for the rant. It grieves me to read stories like yours and one can only look to the London riots to know the imperative of a well armed citizenry. Go after criminals not the law abiding-----sorry for the rant.

You got a great weapon BTW.:D

Will Beararms

That gun is worthless! Send to me-----I will give you $50.00 in scrap value!:D

Enjoy your new Glocks men and have a great weekend with them.

TunnelRat

@ Will
Actually I DON'T live in a state that restricts capacity. The trade in was from the state of MA (run in fear:p). That's why I went new, I would have chucked the 10 rd mags and had to buy all new.

@ Uncle
The extended mag release definitely sounds interesting. That is my only real complaint right now. Could you tell me where you got it? Was it hard to install?

@ everyone
Thanks for the well wishes, will try it out this weekend (hopefully today:D).

Will Beararms

Thank God TR. When you see what we are seeing in London, Phillie and LA, you understand that with freedom comes risks-----the risk that guns will get in the wrong hands, the risk we will lose it all in the stock market, etc.

People are very open to gun ownership in this nation now due to all we are facing and what is happening in the world. Each of us can speak with authority and use this time to convince others about the need to safely own, use and store firearms.

Our communities are safer when the feral elements of our society know in the back of their mind there is a good chance they will get their heads blown clean off if they try the things that are being done in the aforementioned areas.

Last edited:

Uncle Malice

The extended mag release definitely sounds interesting. That is my only real complaint right now. Could you tell me where you got it? Was it hard to install?

Very easy to install. You can use either the 'factory extended' or the release from the full size guns - i.e. - glock 21. I used a fingernail file to lightly break the sharp edges, and it works great.

Check here

tjhands

Guys, the copper-colored lube that Glock puts on their rails isn't some magical and mystical leprochaun semen that has to be left on there for any specific length of time, or at all for that matter.

I have bought probably 8 new Glocks and have cleaned it off completely every time, before I shot them. I just like a gun that I know I've cleaned and lubed myself.

Don't make this harder than it has to be. Leave it on, clean it off, whatever.

TunnelRat

@ Uncle
So the release from a full size pistol would be a little bigger, and the release from the extended even more so? Any chance you could post a pic?

Uncle Malice

Sure, I'll try to post a pic when I get home. Here's one that I through up after hitting 1000 rounds without clean or lube, but it doesn't really show the mag release as much.

I'll try to snap some better pics tonight.

180934_10150131019217533_554172532_7845639_6408173_n.jpg

Sixer

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new Glock!

Great choice.

I clean mine with Hoppe's #9 and lube with CLP. I admit, I'm a little OCD when it comes to cleaning guns. I reality you could probably clean it with spit and dirt, and still have no problems :)

voyager4520

If you find the extended magazine release sticks out too far, you could modify it yourself to make it shorter and round off the corners, or you could try a Vickers extended magazine release. If the standard magazine release were "small" and the extended "large", the Vickers would be "medium".

Here's a video showing how to change the magazine release, a curved dental pick is the best tool to use to move the spring. Whatever you use, be careful to avoid scratching the plastic, you might even wrap the tip lightly in masking tape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE_AM6GWVsQ
(in the video he completely detail strips the frame, that's not necessary, I guess he does it just to get the other parts out of his way)

I leave the copper-colored grease in place and lubricate with small drops of oil according to the instruction manual. I run a dry patch through the bore of the barrel and another over the breech face and under the extractor claw to ensure there's no excess oil or obstructions in those areas. Then I go shooting. Afterwords I clean it completely, removing the copper-colored grease.

What I use:
Hoppe's Elite Cleaner: all-around cleaner, it's basically super-Windex. It's excellent for cleaning plastic/polymer.
Hoppe's #9 bore solvent: for the bore of the barrel(make sure to use in a well-ventilated area)
Ballistol: I wipe all metal parts down for corrosion protection, let soak for a few minutes, then wipe as dry as possible. Then I apply small drops for lubrication in the areas indicated by the instruction manual.

I use a Dewey brass bore rod and Dewey "no harm" bore brush that is all brass with phosphor bronze bristles. I use the nylon brush and plastic bore rod that came with the Glock as a mop to wrap patches around. And I use an old/expired soft plastic ID card to wrap patches around so I can clean in the slide rails.

Cleaning the bore with the nylon bore brush and CLP/oil just doesn't do the job. As the round count goes up you'll see bright shiny copper building up on the rifling. Use some bore solvent with a phosphor bronze bore brush and it'll REALLY clean the bore.

Some tips for a new Glock owner: You may already know this but you shouldn't shoot unjacketed lead in the factory barrel. You should only shoot jacketed bullets because unjacketed lead can quickly "lead up" the barrel. Also when you field strip the pistol you'll notice the base of the guide rod has slightly slipped out of its crescent-shaped notch in the barrel lug. This is normal, just make sure you fully seat the base of the guide rod into that crescent notch before reassembly, even if you didn't take the guide rod and barrel out of the slide.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

@ voyager, sixer
Wow, thanks for all the tips! That is some awesome advice. I have a really nice brass cleaning kit but I have never tried ballistol, will have to pick some up.

Attached is my first magazine shot through the gun right out of the box. These were my first shots of the day at 21 feet, steady fire. I put 100 rds of 115 gr Tul Ammo with absolutely no issues and then 14 rds or 124 gr +p speer gold dot, again with no issue. I am no marksman by any means, you can see I had a few fliers, but I am very very happy with this.:D

Attachments

• 2011-08-12_22-12-24_855.jpg
    2011-08-12_22-12-24_855.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited: