Brand new 1100

Harry Callahan

All,

As I said in a previous thread I just bought a Remington 1100 Tactical Model. After watching a great video on YouTube on how to totally take it apart, clean and lube it, then reassemble it, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take this one apart and lube the action, etc., even though it's brand new and pristine. What do you think, bad idea? BTW, I just totally disassembled, cleaned and lubed my 1100 Trap Model that I bought used. Could not believe how much dirt came out of the receiver after I took the trigger assembly out. Cycling is noticibly cleaner and crisper now. It was easy.

oneounceload

New guns tend to have rust preventative in/on them that should be cleaned out. Remember to push your action pins out one way and reinstall by going in the same way you pushed out (R2L)

zippy13

Yes; but, be advised, some of the 1100's internal parts may have razor sharp edges. Unless you want to join the Brigade of the Bloodied, don't go blindly poking around inside the 1100's receiver -- you may wish to use tweezers or small pliers, instead. (I joined the Brigade many years ago courtesy of an action spring link.) While you have your 1100 apart, you can ease any sharp edges.

The 1100's trigger removal pins are dimpled to indicate where to apply a removal punch.

Harry Callahan

Thanks guys. Already found out the hard way regarding sharp edges. Kind of like a papercut, but I think I'll live(lol)! Guess I'll take this one apart too.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Considering the mass production practices... You also are going thru it to make sure no particulate of metal etc. was left in there...

Every new gun is in need of a thorough deep cleaning and re-lubing.

Brent