Brake and steering fluids?

Coop de Ville

Found a couple of old bottles under the sink. A bottle of DOT 3 heavy duty brake fluid and a bottle of STP power steering fluid...

Any firearms application such as lube or cleaning? Or just toss?

Thanks,

-Coop

orionengnr

Brake fluid is nasty stuff. It is hygroscopic, meaning it actually attracs water.
I can think of no use for it if the container has been opened. (If it is un-opened, I would use it as designed, in the brake system of my vehicle).
I sure as Hell wouldn't use it as a gun cleaner/lubricant.

I'm not as familiar with steering fluid, and I don't know it's properties, but honestly don't see it as a viable cleaning/lube medium.

Now if you had some ATF, that is a pretty good lubricant....

FrankenMauser

Power steering fluid is essentially ATF. Can be used as a CLP in a pinch.

That depends on the make, model, and year of the application.

Some power steering pumps run what is essentially ATF. Some run fluids that could more closely be considered gear oil, or just mineral oil. And... you never know what the formulation is in those plain-label containers at the local parts store, that just say, "Power Steering Fluid".

Found a couple of old bottles under the sink. A bottle of DOT 3 heavy duty brake fluid and a bottle of STP power steering fluid...

Any firearms application such as lube or cleaning? Or just toss?

Just recycle it.

ClayInTx

Use the steering fluid to make the gun easier to aim, but don’t use the brake fluid because it slows down the bullet.

ATF should be used only on Glocks.

Uncle Buck

Around the shop we use a lot of ATF mixed with acetone (finger nail polish remover) on rusted bolts and nuts.

Don't know what it would do to a gun.

"Some power steering pumps run what is essentially ATF."

I sprang a leak in my power steering earlier this week and had to add fluid. 1997 Subaru Outback.

It uses Dexron, which IS automatic transmission fluid.

Hawg

Whatever you do do not put brake fluid in a power steering pump. I had a buddy that did that once.