Staff Emeritus
August 23, 2001

Mr. Timothy Munson
Section Chief, FBI
Module A-3
1000 Cluster Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306-0147

Dear Mr. Munson:

I am writing to express my strong support for Attorney General Ashcroft's proposal to destroy Brady Law criminal background check records.

Unless I have been lied to by my government, the Brady check was intended to prevent the otherwise legal purchase of firearms by felons and other Americans who have been deprived of their natural, God-given (and Constitutionally-guaranteed) right to keep and bear arms.

Now we, sane and law-abiding American citizens, are required to supplicate for approval to protect our families, homes and other property. Already our government has transformed a natural right into a mere privilege.

If my government has told the truth, however, I understand no reason to convert an “eligibility” check into gun registration.

If MasterCard and VISA can determine within mere seconds, from anywhere in America and from many countries overseas, that I have an account with them and that my account is in good standing, it is unbelievable that our government, using our required-at-birth Social Security citizen registration numbers, is unable to determine whether or not we are on some “prohibited” list.

If the only persons to be denied the natural right to purchase a weapon are those “prohibited,” our government has no need to record anything! A mere check to see if the requestor is on the “prohibited” list fulfills the requirement to deprive those listed of legally purchasing a firearm.

Recording and preserving purchases of firearms is firearms registration. The only perceived use of such registration is eventual confiscation. Therefore, sir, speaking frankly, and considering such administrations as the Democrats recently have given us, I do not care to trust any government agency with such information. Rather than keep Americans safe, it merely marks gun owners for oppression by some future rabid federal regime.

You, representing to us our federal government, already have violated the U. S. Constitution by converting a guaranteed, God-given Right into a privilege. So check your list as you say you must. However, extending such perfidy to firearms registration for loyal Americans is uncalled for and unacceptable.

Destroy the list of good Americans, sir. It’s the right thing to do.

Sincerely,

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Here's your chance, folks.

All of you who so bravely posture for Freedom and Liberty, all you have to do to be heard and counted is to write a letter.

It can be a short letter. You can tell them, "Destroy the records!" and little more.

But if you fail to write, all your preaching to the choir on internet bulletin boards becomes empty, hypocritical, breast-beating posturing.

Short & sweet

I write today regarding the Bureau's maintenance of records on firearms purchasers. Don't.

The recent past has seen the Bureau's once sterling image tarnished repeatedly. Waco, Ruby Ridge and the recent report of firearms, notebooks and other itmes missing from its inventory come to mind. If the Bureau seeks to reestablish the public confidence and trust it once enjoyed, it should divest itself of all politically motivated activities, including lobbying, and concentrate on the enforcement of existing laws.

Thank you for your time.

Long Path

Dang, Gary! You didn't even represent your status. (Status's. Statuses. Statai?) You did keep it short and sweet.

Sending mine now.
--L.P.

Long Path

Well, mine's not quite so short, and I'm printing mine right now; I'm sending it in the mail.

Heck, they've got a couple of fingerprint cards on me, already! ;)

People, the anti's will write against it. It's very important that we write FOR it. Please send your cards and letters (or faxes) soonest!

L.P.
Mr. Timothy Munson
Section Chief, FBI
Module A-3
1000 Cluster Hollow Road

August 23, 2001

Dear Mr. Munson:

I'm writing to express my very strong support of Attorney General Ashcroft's proposal to destroy Brady Law criminal background check records.

As a law enforcement officer, I can tell you that there are certainly times when I do appreciate having powerful computerized resources ready at my disposal. I have made cases on the basis of receiving immediate criminal histories, and have arrested truly bad people by confirming warrants at roadside.

That said, I also have a very strong respect for the personal liberties of the people that I handle day in and day out. The law-abiding citizen has the right not to have federally-kept records filed on them for simply legally purchasing a firearm.

Many of the very people who would write you to support Mr. Ashcroft's proposal are afraid to do so, out of a fear that a new file will be started on them, putting them on a "list" that the FBI would keep of possible subversives or the like. Such is the unfortunate growing reputation of the FBI, these days. By choosing to discard these unnecessary files, the FBI can begin to alleviate some of the concerns many people throughout our nation have about the intrusiveness of the federal government into their lives.

Again, please support and implement the Attorney General's proposal to destroy NICS background records.

Sincerely,

Matt G.

Matt - my posted letter doesn't show my title as does the signed one (Doctor, Wing-Commander, Commodore, Rifle Builder, nose pick - never mind).

Sam Adams

My letter to the Fibbies:

Mr. Timothy Munson
Section Chief, FBI
Module A-3
1000 Cluster Hollow Road

August 23, 2001

Dear Mr. Munson:

I am writing you to express my very strong support of Attorney General Ashcroft's proposal to destroy Brady Law criminal background check (NICS) records after 1 day. While I would prefer that such records be destroyed immediately, this proposal is a dramatic improvement from the present procedure.

I am a law-abiding citizen who has never been arrested or had any type of negative experience with any member of any law enforcement agency. I strongly support the legitimate actions taken every day by various law-enforcement agencies and their personnel to prevent and solve crimes. Those who actually put their lives on the line, day after day, are particularly deserving of respect. The job that all of these people perform on behalf of the American public is critical to our way of life.

That being said, I must also indicate that the goal of maximizing the efficiency or effectiveness of law enforcement, however well intentioned, must be secondary to that of maintaining the proper role of government in our society. The Founding Fathers, a group of men uniquely qualified by education and experience to understand both human nature and the nature of power, took great pains to construct our system of government so as to have the maximum amount of liberty consistent with an orderly society. Their certain knowledge that any government composed of human beings would seek to increase its power over time led them to purposely construct a government of limited powers, to then divide those powers between three co-equal and competing branches, and to further constrain government power in those areas deemed critical to our liberty by ratifying the Bill of Rights.

The very concept of a central government keeping files of legal activities by its citizens is abhorrent to the idea of maximizing liberty, and is in direct opposition to everything that the generation of the Founding Fathers fought and died for in the Revolutionary War. Only oppressive governments, which view their citizens as subjects to be ruled, feel the need to maintain records of this type. Any government worthy of its citizens' trust would, itself, act as if it trusted those citizens. Law-abiding citizens in the United States should have the right to undertake the perfectly legal activity of purchasing a firearm without having this fact noted in a file, as if they were criminals. This is no more justifiable than the government keeping records regarding attendance at religious ceremonies. Such records (otherwise known as gun registration) have, historically, always been used as an aid to a later general firearms confiscation. That is true not only overseas, but also in this country. New York City in the 1960's and California in the early 1990's both required their citizens to register certain firearms, while simultaneously promising never to use those records to confiscate those firearms. Later actions by those same governments proved that the former promises were nothing more than carefully crafted lies. Frankly, in view of various law enforcement abuses of power at every level (including, regrettably, the FBI) in recent years, I do not trust any government agency (let alone one with nationwide authority) to keep such records.

It is beyond my understanding why there is any need for these records in the first place. Either a person is, or is not, permitted to purchase a firearm. If not, then the mere attempt to purchase the firearm is a prosecutable offense. If so, then why is it necessary to keep a record of the transaction? Keeping such records is akin to a convenience store keeping records of every person over the legal age that purchased alcoholic beverages or cigarettes.

Again, please note my support for the Attorney General's proposal to destroy NICS background records after 1 day.

Very truly yours,

nine fingers

Fax Number

If you are like me and hate going to the post office, try using this fax number to send your comments (304) 625-0550. It has been my experience that government types give faxes the same weight as snailmail, and it costs less to fax than mail.

(304) 625-0550

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Nine Fingers,
Thanks for the fax number. I'll send my letter by fax as well as by mail.

Last edited:

Comments for Ashcroft

Why don't we just ask them(the Feds) to obey the law as it was written and upheld by the court? Can you imagine what "they" would do if we all decided what laws we wanted to obey and what ones we didn't? Oh, I forgot some of us are probably already in that catagory, the Feds just haven't found out yet.
Oderint dum Metuant

lonegunman

Do you really think they will destroy the records?

Whether the time limit is 24 hrs or 90 days?

Personally, I worry that the records could be mis-handled, saved on another computer that isnt purged, etc

Just because you may be paranoid doesnt mean they arent trying to get you.