Boyds Ruger American Stock

reynolds357

I put one on an American .243 today. I must admit that I am impressed with the stock. The only thing I do not like about it is the plastic trigger guard. If Boyds had included a metal trigger guard, the stock would be super nice.
I will have to admit that it is one of the more aggravating stock installs I have done. Do not even think about installing this stock without bedding it. One of the purposes of the American was to eliminate the need for bedding. Not really sure why Boyds did not hold to that design theory, but for some reason they did not. It is definitely a vast improvement over what came on the rifle.

tobnpr

Those partial bedding blocks (at least, that's what I equate them to) are designed to center the receiver in the stock, take the place of a traditional recoil lug by mating with flats in the receiver, and serve the same function as pillars.

Does Boyds CNC the inletting in the shape of the aluminum blocks to mate with the receiver properly?

Seems like a good bedding job should be able to replace all that...let us know if there is a difference in accuracy compared to the factory stock.

reynolds357

Boyds does a decent job of inletting the stock, but no where close to perfect. I have shot the rifle about 30 times since installing the stock. The base group is about the same as the factory stock, but the stiff stock eliminated the flyers. The factory stock allowed the rifle to shoot 90% of the bullets inside 3/4" at 100 with 10% of the shots being inside a 2" group. With the Boyds stock, all 30 shots I have shot have been sub-moa.