Boyds JRS stock

Smokey Joe

Boyd's...

Rick Davis 81--I have a Boyd's stock, but not a JRS. Agreed, they are VERY nice, and not too expensive for what you get.

I always suggest getting the stock from Boyd's unfinished (that means no varnish--the shaping is completely done!) so you can Dremel it out and glass-bed your rifle in the stock, plus make whatever small modifications occur to you. Then after the stock is glassed, you sand and finish it.

Boyd's sells a finishing kit but I got nice results with local hardware-store sandpaper and spray-can satin spar varnish. The sanding is the most tedious part of this or any woodworking project, but it doesn't take much in the way of brains.

You sand the stock smooth with, say, 100-grit paper, then dampen the stock and do it again. Then you sand the stock smooth with, say, 150-grit. Then sand the stock all over again with perhaps 200-grit. Then put on a coat of varnish, including all the inner places (you want to seal up the wood) let dry and sand almost all of it right off the outside. Just leave it alone on the inner spaces which will be covered by the rifle action. Varnish again, sand less of it off this time, repeat, repeat, repeat. By this time you will have a 5-coat or so varnish layer that will be glass-smooth and look better than you expected. Varnish one more time and don't sand the final layer at all.

Reassemble the rifle, sight it in, and start collecting compliments. The whole process took me mebbe 2 weeks of one-hour-per-day, except the day I did the dremel-and-glass business; that took mebbe 2 hours. I took everything slow and careful; an experienced woodworker could probably have done everything I did with 1/2 as much work time.

Brownell's sells a nice glass-bedding kit that has complete directions; it is pretty much idiot-proof.

If I can do this successfully, ANYBODY can!

dodge

Don't use varnish instead use Tru Oil put out by Birchwood Casey. You hande rub it in and use 0000 steel wool in between coats. I found that to help it dry to put in the sun or any other warm place. When I younger and did some stocks during the winter I put them close to the wood stove and I was able to put two coadts on a day.

onemsumba

they are nice stocks. I have a JRS and its very nice.

I've had a few where the rear action hole was oval. Also better to get 96% intel then Finished or VIP part as I find these can have a little too much wood removed. For instance the rear tang on my last on sat on top of the wood and didn't nest in it. It was a 1/2 off special so i can't complain much.

they arrrive at about 90% sanded doesn't take much to get them to a finished level.

richards microfit are also nice but expect to wait 13 weeks. So you won't be hunting with it this year.

I use water lox to finish my stock. the beneifit is its easy to touch up if you get a nick in it.