Boxes

James K

Member In Memoriam
Some time back, a couple of folks asked about storage boxes for handguns. I was unable to help at that time, but now have located (actually re-located) a source for those boxes, and here is the site:

www.protectagun.com

I had previously dealt with this person and have been well satisfied.

Jim

(I did not put this in the "For Sale" section because I am not the seller, just trying to help folks.)

JK

lamarw

You certainly can not quibble over the price. In a resell situation or trade they might well cover their cost even if they are not original. I suspect it is an
excellent way to display pistols and revolvers on the market.

In the latest Guns & Ammo there was an interesting article on Pelican carrying cases. These are more for transporting and kicking around and standing up to punishment vs. just a storage box. They can also set you back the value of a very rare penny.

KyJim

A good alternative to gun socks with the advantage that the boxes and labels should make it easier to track what's where.

I have several Protect-a-Gun boxes. They are a God-send for used pistols that arrived with no box or case, and they take up a lot less space on the shelf than factory clamshell cases. And the labels make it easy to see which pistol is in which box.

They are very high quality, and Robert is easy to deal with.

Pahoo

Great info and thanks !!

WOW !!
There is a solution to one of my minor problems .... ;)

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!

James K

Member In Memoriam
Not my idea; like I say, I am only passing on some info.

Personally, my practice is to oil the gun well, put in into a Zip-Loc (tm) bag and squeeze the air out before sealing. Then I put the bag into a box. I have never had any problems with rust or any damage over some years. (Not for the "fast draw" guys, though; I have other guns for that.)

Jim

gyvel

Personally, my practice is to oil the gun well, put in into a Zip-Loc (tm) bag and squeeze the air out before sealing.

I did that as well for years in Florida before moving to AZ. When a gun was going into long term storage, I would spray them down with Paralketone (which we used at my airlines job to prevent corrosion in the aircraft bellies). After letting the Paralketone dry a little bit, it went into a plastic zip bag.

It is now generally available as "LPS 3," and does a super job at long-term preservation, and is easily cleaned off with any mineral spirit product or even WD-40.

qwiksdraw

indeximage_03.jpg

A fine example of a misplaced phrase. :D

Don't see it? What item has labels?

James K said:
Personally, my practice is to oil the gun well, put in into a Zip-Loc (tm) bag and squeeze the air out before sealing. Then I put the bag into a box. I have never had any problems with rust or any damage over some years. (Not for the "fast draw" guys, though; I have other guns for that.)
I do the same. I also wrap each gun in a quarter sheet of rust retardant vapor paper from Brownells, and for good measure I may throw in a vapor tab along with it.

4V50Gary said:
Are they acid free?
What ... the boxes? Robert doesn't make any claim that they are. His web site offers, in addition to the boxes, waxed paper that's very similar to (if not exactly the same as) the paper Colt uses to warp wrap the WW1 reproductions.

{Edit}Typo fixed. Thanks, KyJim.

Last edited: