Boxes vs bags

9mmSkeeter

For awhile I have used empty ammo boxes for my pistol loads, but I'm finding they take up a lot of room so I've started ziplock bagging rounds that are of the same weight, load, caliber...I.e. " 4.0 titegroup 115 gr 9mm". I've found that taking the bags to the range makes it easier to load and less of a hassle.

Anyone else here bag their rounds? Or are you a box guy/girl?

Clark

I have switched to zip lock bags for reloading dies. A box can hold 3, a big zip lock can hold 20.

I have switched to zip lock bags for loaded 32 Colt Long, 38 Special, 380 +P, etc. I put a post-it in the bag that lists the OAL, bullet, powder charge, etc.

I am still keeping to ammo boxes for 7mmRM, even though there is more of a risk of change in OAL due to transport. I need the extra organizational help when I roll on my belly in the dirt.

For brass storage I go to bags. I put a post it in the bag that lists what is known about the brass.
For bullet storage some boxes some bags

BOOMST1CK

For the wheel guns I use the red plano ammo boxes, for the semi auto pistol's I use old berry boxes( hold about a 100 rnds) for my AR I just put a 30 cal ammo can next to the progressive press and go to town.

Nathan

Bags Huh? Any negatives so far? I like boxes for their organizational quality, but this has me thinking...bags are easier to fill and empty...

skizzums

all my ammo goes in ziplock baggies. even the ones in the ammo cans to separate the different loads. plus, when my bag goes empty, its a [;ace to shove my empty cases rather than tossing them all in my range back and having to sort later. I probably have 75 baggies labeled with a sharpie with different recipes. rifle ammo goes in mason jars though since the baggies ear with pointy bullets

kostner

Started out years ago with plastic boxes from Midway and then moved to coffee cans then to ammo cans. It depends on how much you reload different calibers and how much you shoot. Lately I firing agout 100/200 45acp and 100 223/5.56 a week.

j357

All of the above is my general answer. Depends on what I am loading for and their final destination. Bags are separated by various calibers are okay and they will fit in an ammo can with others. For long term big bags in one can are the way to go. But then I gotta figure out what to hit the ground running with!

For weekly range use I always go with 50 or 100 round boxes in an ammo can for carrying.

cheezhed

I use the large coffee mate containers for my reloads. They store 400 rounds pretty easily and I get a new one just about every week.

Blindstitch

I started with MTM 50 round boxes and reloading old ammo boxes relabled for reloading components. Then I went to bags as I learned they hold more and I can arrange bunches of different loads for the same caliber and they're easily identified. If two loads use similar components I use a colored sharpie and color in the primer with that color and make sure the label is also in that color.

Bigdog57

For storage of ammo, I use the white boxes with Styrofoam inserts from MidwayUSA, or factory boxes with foam or plastic trays/inserts.
For hunting or bench shooting I like the plastic boxes with hinged or sliding tops.
Some bulk storage in ammo cans for common calibers, for my long term stash.

Jay24bal

For all my handgun reloads and my AR Fodder, loaded rounds are stored in quart size freezer ziplocks (freezer bags are thicker and stronger), then I pile those bags in the big pretzel jars.

100 rounds of handgun ammo in each bag, and 90 .223/5.56 in each bag. I put a mailing label on the outside of each bag with the load data on it.

DudeRick

I use old draw string bank bags for coins. Very durable and you can get them for a few bucks apiece on eBay.

riverratt

For my simi handguns i use freezer bags, wheelguns i use boxes. For my rifles I use bags with test rounds, load workups, and boxes for developed loads.

I use the berry's bullet box idea when I have one available, since I started casting my own that's where I keep my bullets at.

buck460XVR

I still use plastic ammo boxes for the most part. I like the way they stack on the shelves and how easy it is to read what's in them. With revolvers, it's easy to take them from the box and then return the empties to the same box as it sits beside you on the bench. I've gotten to prefer the 100 rounders tho over the 50s when it comes to handgun rounds. For the autos, baggies or coffee cans are just fine.

mikld

Boxes are easier to stack and store. I use both, plastic boxes for revolver ammo, and bags for most everything else. I keep my reloads in GI ammo cans and can get a lot of bags full of ammo in them (my work up loads, 10-32 rounds, goes in bags and my "perfected" loads can go in plastic 2 qt. food storage containers, loose. I use Avery stick on labels for load data and they stick quite well to the plastic bags and containers.

oldpapps

This old pack rat uses or has used just about anything over the years.

Remember the paper buckets that the original 'Bucket of Chicken' came in? I've still got a couple of them.

The big plastic cat litter buckets are what I put my shot brass in. I separate it as I dump the brass in, 45 in this one, 40 in that one...

Loaded stuff get many storage 'holders'. Zip lock bags are great. Gallon ice cream buckets with bails do great and stack but not too high. GI ammo cans stack well for long term storage. I have 8 inch plastic pipe lengths with glued on ends on one end and screw off ends on the other, I have color coded them with spray paint. Too long and they get to be a problem to handle the weight.

As I don't buy commercially loaded ammunition, any 'boxes' I have had have fell apart over the years.

So for the question as posed, 'bags'.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Longshot4

This Thread sounds like a bunch of ammo hoarder. No wonder I can't find powder and bullets... You guys need to use up some of your rounds before they fall over and bury you. ;) I use the plastic boxes from Midway... 50 rounds each. Plastic coffee cans work for brass one tote 12 gage cases and one for 20 gage.

hodaka

I pick up empty factory ammo boxes at the range and recycle them. I like the boxes so I know how many rounds I am taking with me. They stack well and don't take up much room. Also I get to get to check the primers one more time. The factory boxes get about 10 uses before they are too ragged to use. Brass goes into plastic buckets (2 gallon usually) after cleaning.

THORN74

Usgi ammo cans ..... .30 cal cans for taking to the gun club, one for each calibur. And .50 cal cans for long term storage/ reserve.

Replenish from the .50 cal cans into the .30s when needed and from the press into the 50s when they run low.

Also put my .308 precision round in an mtm case. Much more time and work go into those so they are stored separately