Bought Tumbler and Separator. What do I do?

branrot

So I bought the Dillon CV-500 and CM-500 (that's the small cartridge case cleaner and case/media separator). I also picked up a box full of Lyman corn cob media. I've got a bunch of dirty brass sitting in boxes in my closet. Now what?

I assume that I mix some media and cases (how much?) in the case cleaner and let it run (how long?). Then dump what's left into the separator and give it a few spins (how many?). I assume that I can reuse the corn cob media (how many times?). Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated as well.

Redneck2

Instructions with my RCBS told how many cases it would hold..about 200 pistol in my case.

How long?? Keep checking...you'll see when they're clean. The newer the media the faster it works. If it's a vibrator, maybe an hour or two. I've heard tumblers take longer.

I've cleaned maybe 1,000-1,500 cases with my corncob and haven't changed yet, but I'm thinkin' it's close. Takes longer with each cleaning. Be careful not to breathe the dust..has lots of lead from primers.

maxwayne

I think that many people dont tumble long enough. I almost always go for overnite. Fill the bowl about 1/3 to 1/2 full of cases and cover with media.

muzzletalk

I agree with branrot... I let my cases go for a while. Make sure when you put your brass in the tumbler that the brass has room to move.. I have seen a couple of times that people have added so much brass that the tumbler couldnt move the brass around. When choosing a polishing compound, make sure its non amonia based.. From what I have always read, amonia will weaken the brass..

Bottom Gun

Don't forget to add case polish to the media. Start off with the recommended dose. After a few loads your media will absorb the polish and you can cut down on the amount of polish you add.
I use Dillon's polish.
My cases are normally bright and shiny in an hour to an hour and a half, depending upon how nasty they are.

parachuterigger

For the first fill, don't fill the bowl completely. I keep mine a couple of inches below the edge. You have to leave room for the volume of the cases or the media will tumble over the edge when you fill it. I usually start the tumbler and add the cases while it is running then cover it and let it go for around an hour or so. You don't have to use the polish, but it makes the cases look nice. The separator really does a nice job, just dont breathe in the dust that comes from it when you pour the contents of the tumbler into it.

Jeeper

You dont need to add case polish until your media is dirty. It will cut down on the ammount of dust when the media is new also. Dont add to much or it wont work as well. Only add it to media by itself or you could get globs of it inside some cases. Let the media run for a few minutes after you add it and then add the brass.