Bought some Cor-bon 45 Colt rounds

Stargazer

And I was ******! I brought them home and using my kinetic bullet puller I took one apart. I wanted to duplicate their load. Starline cases, 300 grain Sierra FP. I weighed the powder charge and was a little surprised to find the charge only weighed 21.5 grains of what looked like H110 or WW296. I am already past that charge! I figured they would have 24-25 grains in them as they advertise them as 1300 FPS on the box. Oh well, I got (19) to shoot and still have (20) cases to reload. I guess if one doesn't reload this would be a much stouter load than the cowboy action rounds so there is a place for them. :)

csmsss

Lots of ammo companies use proprietary or mixed powders. Absent direct information from Corbon, you simply cannot assume which powders they might be using.

Foxbat

Put 21.5 grains of H110 in that case, and see what kind of performance you get... that will be your answer.

Companies like CorBon are pushing the limits of what is achievable with their proprietary powders. Developing such loads takes money, tools, time and access to resources.

Stargazer

Lots of ammo companies use proprietary or mixed powders. Absent direct information from Corbon, you simply cannot assume which powders they might be using.

So very true, I had thought of that after I had posted this. I remember reading that some 454 Casull rounds might mix powders as well to get those insane velocities.

Put 21.5 grains of H110 in that case, and see what kind of performance you get... that will be your answer.

I am past a H110 21.5 charge on 45 Colt, but I haven't reached 1300 FPS yet with a 300 grain bullet. 22 grains in a 7.5" barrel only got me 1157 FPS.

tomh1426

Ive been playin around with H-110 and a 300gr RFN GC bullet, workin my way up from 22 gr, dosnt look like theirs room for more after 23 gr.
No signs of over pressure, cases drop free and primers aint flat yet!
I dont have a chronograph but out of my 7.5" Blackhawk it should be pretty close to 1300fps.

ligonierbill

6" Ruger Blackhawk
300 grain Oregon Trail hard cast
20 grains H110
1,240 fps
That's enough for me, but everything I read says you can go a few more grains. No reason why 1,300 fps is not achievable, but I think folks tend to push the good ole Colt too far. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy, and if I gotta have more, I'll get a nice Freedom Arms .454.

You can push the 45 Colt Blackhawk pretty good without any issues but like a poster indicated - the 454 being a "magnum" 45 Colt can push a little harder. The FA 454 is one great revolver but if you're a little short on funds the BFR 454 can get the job done in a like manner but you would probably be better served by just moving up to the 475 Linebaugh, which will do a better job with a little less "felt" recoil. That 45 Colt Blackhawk is damn hard to beat as a "packin" revolver anywhere in the lower 48 with 325 grain hardcasts zipping along at 1,200+fps.

Stargazer

Well, I shot some of this Cor-Bon through the 4" RedHawk and I was impressed. It gave me an average of 1187 FPS, the most I have seen from this RedHawk yet. My handloads with 22.5 grains of H110 only averaged 965 or so FPS. One set read 972.5 and the other set read 963.2 FPS. Same weight bullet. So they may have some special blend of powder as it only weighed 21.5 grains. Now what an impressive muzzle flash it did have. I have a link here below that is a video of the recoil and some other muzzle flashes as well. Camera has capacitor issues, reason for the green band, but it still records videos.

320rhmb.jpg

http://home.roadrunner.com/~ispyu2/MBRH.wmv:D

rdmallory

Just worked up some loads for my 16" Marlin. 300g soft point jacketed in front of 21g of h110 is all I want to shoot. My shoulder is still sore. Kind of like shooting a 12 gauge with magnums more than a rifle.

Doug

rdmallory

Yes,

The only thing that grouped better was the leveraction plastic tips but the Marlin did not like to feed them.

I was only shooting 25 yards at a indoor range with open sights and getting 2" groups. That is standing without a rest with bifocals.

The 300gr hollow points had a 6-8 pattern.

Doug