Bought my Woman a Ruger Max 9 . . .

Prof Young

Forum Followers:

For Christmas my woman got an engagement ring and a Leopard print Ruger max 9. You can guess which she was more excited about. :)

Anyway, with the slightest sideways pressure on the trigger, the Max 9 trigger locks up. I'm guessing this is not normal.

Will be calling Ruger to inquire, but thought I'd check in with you all as well.

Happy New Year.

Prof Young

tonyboo109

Watch for rust in and on the barrel to , I had one for a few months and it rusted no matter how I oiled it or how often.

variety is the spice of life - William Cowper

Willie Lowman

Anyway, with the slightest sideways pressure on the trigger, the Max 9 trigger locks up. I'm guessing this is not normal.

Will be calling Ruger to inquire, but thought I'd check in with you all as well.

That sounds like something that may need be sent back to Ruger to be fixed. The good news is they have great warranty service. The bad news is they will likely have your gun for a few months before you get it back fixed.

Prof Young

Called Ruger they said it's "normal" . . .

Wilie an others:

I'm very disappointed in Ruger. I called them with the max-9 sideways issue and they said it's normal. Really? Sideways pressure on the trigger makes it stop? This is not the kind of quality I expect from a Ruger pistol. Truly disappointing. I suspect that on down the road I'll be getting Jan a different gun.

In the mean time I'll clean it, test fire and we'll see how she does with it.

Truly shabby on Ruger's part. How could they not know this would be a problem.

Life is good.
Prof Young

wild cat mccane

I'm not surprised at all. The Ruger quality idea is pretty mythical considering their entire auto line is copying Kel Tec firing control unit and the botched GP100 7th chamber debacle. But not here to fight that and I carry an LCP gen2 more than any gun.

Sideways pressure stops the trigger? call back. The trigger is pinned in. it can't be doing that and it be "okay"

Last edited:

wild cat mccane

Canik had this on the safety dingus. I experienced it and saw what was happening.

If the dingus got any side play the corner would trip the dingus back onto the frame locking the gun up (correctly, just not right for shooting it).

If you are talking dingus pressure, that is one thing.

If you are talking the entire trigger locks up after the dingus is depressed, that's a big problem. That isn't just disappointing. It could mean the trigger gets enough play to snap.

Adventurer 2

The Springfield Hellcat, reportedly, has a similar known issue where sideways trigger pressure affects trigger pull - your issue sounds more severe than the Hellcat reports.