Bought my first shotgun; looking for any tips/advice

SC4006

After years of occasional research, and thinking about it, I finally decided to get one! I decided on the mossberg 590 magpul edition. I chose the 590, and mossberg overall for a few reasons. First, I was initialy interested in the Remington 870, and Mossberg 590. After hearing a lot about the apparent decline of Remington, as well as watching a few YouTube videos of new 870's, I decided to forget it. Second, I had already fired a 590 in my NG unit a few times, and I liked it. Finally, I'm not the biggest guy around, and don't really care for the huge shotguns, so I wanted one with around a 20" barrel.

I ordered it a few days ago at buds gun shop, so I'd say I should be able to pick it up at my LGS next week.

Before I get it, I'd like any helpful advice or tips on how to clean/maintain it, or just any other general words of wisdom about shotguns as I have very limited experience with them. The few times I shot a 590 in the military I didn't have to clean it afterwards :D so I don't know what type of lubricant is best for a pump, or key places to lubricate besides the obvious.

Finally, I know some of you may laugh at me for considering this, but how would the 590 do as far as hunting? I realize the 590 is a combat shotgun, and I bought it for the fun factor, as well as home defense, but I'd like to hunt with it sometime as well. I'd only be interested in using it for deer hunting. I'm thinking even know it doesn't have a choke, it should still do fine with buckshot, right? Then of course slugs are always an option too.

Anyways, any helpful advice would be much appreciated.

SC4006

Oh, and one more question I forgot to ask. What would be the approximate break in period for a new pump shotgun? I know sometimes brand new shotguns, or any gun for that matter, can have some hangups that go away after a little bit of use. If I'm using this for home defense, I want to know that it's past that break in stage, and that it will work reliably.

Blindstitch

Congradulations on your purchase. I've never owned a 590 but have had 3 500's and work the hell out of them.

They don't need a lot of love or cleaning. I think the only thing I lube is the rails attached to the forend.

I would learn how to take it apart. It isn't hard and just a few pins but it's important to know but many people don't do it. After a season of pheasant hunting I get a good deal of grass and other junk in the far rear inside of the action where the safety sits.

As for hunting it should be as good as any other gun but you may want to use a longer barrel. The only way you're going to know anything it to take it out and shoot it at a patterning board. But that's the same as any other gun.

Blindstitch

Break in period shouldn't be long. Might take a bit for it to get smooth but I wouldn't hesitate buying one, patterning it and taking it out the next day.

What do you intend to hunt?

SC4006

Thanks for the reply. I plan on hunting only deer if I do decide to hunt with it at all. What do you recommend as far as a lubricant? I'd assume regular old CLP would be fine. I'll definitely be seeing how it shoots with all kinds of different loads at different distances.

FITASC

Your owner's manual will answer just about every question you're asking.

Give it a thorough first cleaning and lubing per the manual. A pump does not need a break-in period (or shouldn't if made correctly). 20" barrels are for using a shotgun like a rifle, so for deer hunting it should be OK.

SC4006

Your owner's manual will answer just about every question you're asking.

You know what... I actually TOTALLY forgot that it would come with an owners manual. :rolleyes: This is the only brand new gun I've bought so far though, all my others didn't come with owners manuals. Well, good to get advice from forum members, as well as have an excuse to talk about my new shotgun!

FITASC

It should also talk about cleaning and how often to do certain aspects about cleaning and show you the way to take it apart ( and more importantly, how to put it back together! :D)

colbad

My break in process now days for any new gun consists of breaking it down and giving it a good treatment of frog lube. If you do this, its important to follow the directions for the heat application.

I do this for two reasons, one it becomes completely water proof and wont rust. Second it provides a base lubricant which even by its self would be good.

In the case of a shotgun, nothing better than a couple rounds of clay targets to loosen it up and develop confidence.

SC4006

I've heard so much about frog lube, maybe I should check it out for myself. Good idea with the clay target ammo, it's cheap and should also be good plinking ammo.

g.willikers

Shotguns are built kind of loose and sloppy compared to rifles and handguns.
It's pretty hard to do them any damage.
Smooth bore barrels only need to occasionally have the spiders and bugs cleaned out.
And once in a while the trigger group should be removed, cleaned and lubed a little.
Some folks just use a garden hose. :)
Don't sweat it.

FITASC

Shotguns are built kind of loose and sloppy compared to rifles and handguns.

I own and have handled many shotguns with tolerances a bolt rifle can't match; all depends on what you want.