Bought my first rifle: Chinese SKS

Tibu

Yes! I took the plunge and bought my first rifle. Was looking for something I could abuse without worrying and I think this fits the bill. Chinese SKS Paratrooper with Simmons scope:

sks1.jpg

sks2.jpg

sks3.jpg

sks4.jpg

Bought for a steal (IMO) at $190. I know scopes on SKS sort of don't work well but I figured I can just take it off and put it on at a later time or maybe use it for other stuff. Kinda worried that I won't be able to get a muzzle brake on it, but I hear there are some options, such as an adapter for non threaded barrels or something in that order. Anyways, I'll post a range report next week.

chris in va

Excellent. If I had to do the SKS thing over again it would be that one. Short barrel, none of that crap like the Yugo has.

Tibu

I'm worried about the scope. I've spent that past 3 hours reading about the mounts for the SKS and apparently they all suck? They say that they don't stay still and you can never get them zeroed in. The mount is a B-square mount. Also how exactly does one "zero in" a scope?

dbgun

$190 for a Paratrooper is a great price. I've seen most them on Gunbrokers go for about $300. IMO, I think you got a great deal.

Abndoc

Hey Tibu... PM MacGille for some hints on making that mount more stable. He's had some success with that same problem.

Allow some time for an answer cause he's a crotchety ol' fart who doesn't always get to his mail real quick. :)

Tom2

They ought to have a solid side rail mount like an AK or something. Maybe mods for that but changes gun permanently. All I can think of is those steel cases bouncing off the bottom of the scope! I like the SKS but I have given up the idea of making too much out of it. Sows ear into leather purse maybe?

RedneckFur

The Chinese SKS is a great rifle, and I think you'll really injoy yours. If youre going to keep the scope, get a shell deflector, because the SKS ejects straight up, and it will beat your scope apart.

Average Joe

Nice find, the SKS is a great dependable shooter..However, the scope mount will never be in alignment. Just the nature of the beast, its much better with just iron sights...

K-Minus

Which are the best SKS's?Are the chinese and yugo ones better than the
original russian?Or are the russians the best?If all go's well than an SKS will
be my next rifle.

RedneckFur

Personally, ive always liked the Chinese SKS's best... some prefer russians. My norinco is well built and fit and finish are both good, for what they are. My norinco shoots accurately too.. 3 inches at 100yards if i do my part. I'd like to get a yugo.. but from what i've seen, most of them are pretty beat when they get here.

Last edited:

MacGille

Tibu, I have a leapers mount with a leapers 6x scope on my (modified) yugo. I get 2" groups consistently at 100 yd. The key is to lock your action into the stock with some careful bedding work. It looks to me that your scope mount is held on with a pin in the action cover hole. If the mount moves on recoil, there is very little you can do with that mount. Shoot it and let us know what kind of accuracy (first round) and precision (group size) you get.:)