bought a Webley & Scott Mk IV .32 S&W Long

anand

Greetings,
I recently bought a W&S Mk IV .32 S&W Long, 4" barrel revolver. Its in like new condition except for a little piting on the right side of barrel near the muzzle. I havent shot it yet.

I traded my Ruby Extra Revolver in .32 for it and then paid what is equivalent to $600 :eek: for the Webley. Here in India, the prices are exhorbitant;
the webley cost me $3100 :eek: and the Ruby was $2500 :eek: . All these are old guns imported prior to 1984. Import is allowed now only on a very limited basis that raises the prices of existing guns.

I paid Approximately $500 :barf: as import tax on my FEG hi Power in .30 Luger.
Ammo prices are through the roof too :(
But as guns go I thought I did good with the trade.
Anand

Dave85

Congratulations on your acquisition, if not on the price you had to pay. How much does ammunition run, and is hand loading an option for you?

Tom2

Wondering

I wonder if they are limited to non military or small bore cartridges in India. I know some countries will not allow civilians to own any caliber that is used by the police or military. And it seems that the prices are pretty high, for a country that allows private ownership. But the Webley certainly has a fine reputation around the world. Some surplus Webley's show up in the US in caliber 38 S&W or 38-200, as it was known in the military. They are usually showing plenty of wear, but the prices are quite reasonable, as the caliber is not that popular over here. I suppose that caliber might be out of the question in India? Tom

anand

HI Dave85,
Indian ammo Imported ammo
.32 S&W Long= $0.70 $2.00 to $3.00
.22 LR= $0.30 $1.00 to $1.50
.30-06= $1.30 $2.00 to $3.00
.315/8mm label= $1.30 --------------
12 gauge shell= $1.30 $2.00 to $3.00
7.62x25 tokarev= ----------- $2.00 to $3.00
all rates are per one round of ammo.Handloading is not an option.

Tom2,
Yes we are limited to .22, .25, .30, .32 for handguns. .38 is technically a police caliber.The problem is, the restriction is on bore size rather than on the actual chambering or cartridge dimension.
The law says that "any firearm capable of chambering or firing a "prohibited bore cartridge" is considered "prohibited bore firearm". Prohibited bores are: 9mm pistol, .380 revolver,.45 pistol, .455 Revolver,.303 rifle ,7.62mm rifle.
regards,
Anand

mec

I was afraid you were quoting Per-round costs on those cartridges. Makes for pretty expensive shooting. Heck. A guy here just bought a barrett light and has been finding .50 BMG ammo for $1.50 each.

What sort of shooting opportunities do you have over there? Formal ranges only? Casual shooting in rural areas? Small Game?

We don't see many small Webleys over here but the old big bores are fairly common and good shooters. .32 Long is a fine revolver ctg.
Thanks.