Bought a Shield as my "gray area" pistol... Range Review

Mystro

Not that I needed another gun, but I broke down a purchased a Shield 9mm. I have a 27 handgun collection and some of my smaller pistols are a NAA 22mag Pug, Bodyguard 380,and a P938 that fills the pocket pistol category. I have always admired the Shields ergos and thinness but never considered it a pocket pistol but more of a light weight carry duty gun.

The Shield is what I would call my "gray area" pistol. It can be used as a pocket pistol but its a bit big. It can be used as a service pistol but its a bit small. Its right where a Glock 26 is and I sold mine because it was too thick. I have a few Glocks and never liked their pointing angle but they always went bang so they served their purpose. Now the M&P have become my Glock replacement firearm except they point more natural. This is why I purchased the Shield as a G26 replacement. Great gun for on the hip or in the waistband. Tough and reliable, yet light enough you can carry it about anywhere. I also like the safety on the Bodyguard and Shield in some carry conditions. I am more inclined to pocket carry this gun in a emergency without a holster or shove it in a coat pocket if needed. I would never consider pocket carrying a G26. If you train on a 1911, the M&P Safety is a non-issue to use. It tucks back in so close to the slide that it is almost invisible.

At the range I put 200 rounds through it without any issue. I even tested to see if I could get it to jam by weak wristing and riding the slide. The only thing I was able to do was to ride the slide stop with a high grip and that would not allow the slide to remain open at the last shot. I tried 135+p Critical Duty, 124+p Golden Saber, 124+p PDX1, 115 +P Barnes Tac-XPD, WWB,Federal FMJ, Herters FMJ. All functioned flawlessly. The 135+p Critical Duty shot a bit left as did the PDX1. The lighter 115 +P Barnes were tack drivers and had the less felt recoil. The 124+p Golden Saber was almost as good as the Barnes.

I did have to move the front sight a very slight bit left. I mean a very slight bit. With its sight radius, you don't have to move the front sight more than 1-2mm to make a impact change. It was one of the toughest ones I have done and that is saying something considering all the handguns I have adjusted. I was gonna put a set of night sights on it but I really like the sight picture, low profile and quality of the S&W metal stock sights so I may not. Trigger broke clean at about 7-8lbs. I would lighten it to a honest 5lbs but I want to keep this gun lawerproof so I am not touching it. My wife shot it and she had no problem taking out the center of a IPSC target her first time with the Shield. Her weapon of choice is a HK USP Compact 9mm.
I carried it all day in a nylon Uncle Mikes Sidekick hip holster size 16 and it disappeared. No weight and rode close. Perfect carry rig for hiking long days in rough terrain. The Uncle Mikes Sidekick Size 16 IWB is also the perfect fit for Shield.
I am very satisfied with my "gray area" Shield. Should be a great trail gun as well as a light weight EDC.

Two magazines of WWB:

as a comparison,

My Bodyguard:

P938

PT-92

Oh yes, "The Gray" Area...Soon you'll have to address the red and black etc. areas which will break the 30 mark for your collection ;).

KyJim

Good report. I guess I use my Kahr CM9 as my "gray area" semi-auto. I've thought about a Shield but just haven't taken the plunge. I'm at that point that I am more selective in what I buy.

ritepath

My shield is starting to become my favorite carry gun. Accurate, fun to shoot and reliable from shot one.

I'm thinking it's going to make a great summer gun for the trail, stream, woods. Along with a great CC while out and about.

I'm going to invest in an APEX kit just to see how good it will make the trigger. I polished the striker and trigger bar and it made a world of difference.

DT Guy

Lawyer-proof? Hmmmm....

"So why did you shoot this bystander, a loving wife and mother of six choirboys, in her forehead, Mr. Self-Defense?"

"Well, my trigger was too heavy, but I was afraid to make the gun more shootable and accurate in my hands, in case I ever had to use my gun in self-defense....."

Just a thought. :)

Larry

TunnelRat

"So why did you shoot this bystander, a loving wife and mother of six choirboys, in her forehead, Mr. Self-Defense?"

"Well, my trigger was too heavy, but I was afraid to make the gun more shootable and accurate in my hands, in case I ever had to use my gun in self-defense....."

A heavy trigger makes you headshot innocent bystanders? Wow, good to know.

DT Guy

Yes, it does. If you miss...and some folks (not everyone, certainly) shoot light triggers more accurately. Hence the whole 'missing' concern.

TunnelRat

Yes, it does. If you miss...and some folks (not everyone, certainly) shoot light triggers more accurately. Hence the whole 'missing' concern.

I see. So then in your opinion what trigger weight should S&W set for these triggers? Keeping in mind the weight described is in line with many production pistols available.

Noreaster

Good shooting. You already have the 938 I'm surprised you got the Shield. On the other hand I have a friend with more firearms than you're average size gun store and he carries the Shield more than anything else.

DT Guy

Don't care what S&W sets them for; I used Apex parts to get mine to where I wanted it. Don't care what anyone else shoots, just get tired of folks parroting all this internet dribble about lawyer triggers.

Larry

Mystro

I never thought the Shield was a direct competitor to the P938 at least how I shop for guns. The Shield is not a true pocket pistol, a striker fire and cost half as much as the Sig. The Sigs build quality is certainly aimed more up scale having stock night sights and being all metal but you do pay for that engineering. I would recommend a Shield to a first time gun buyer but I wouldn't the P938. The P938 is for a more seasoned owner that probably has some 1911 experience. I really appreciate both their designs. They both have their place. I see the Shield as a great G26 alternative.
I dry fired the heck out of my Shield the last few days and it has signifagantly improved the trigger. Cleaning it a few times and using EWL 2000 has helped. No grittiness and the break is cleaner. The Shield's trigger is certainly good enough for great accuracy. Trigger weight is not that important as long it has a clean break. Its more of a training issue than anything. I had folks tell me that pocket pistols don't shoot accurate too...;)

Last edited:

Nanuk

Nice write up!

Don't care what S&W sets them for; I used Apex parts to get mine to where I wanted it. Don't care what anyone else shoots, just get tired of folks parroting all this internet dribble about lawyer triggers.

My thoughts as well.:D

Mystro

Boy, I have watched that Apex Shield Carry Kit (SCK) installation video 2 times now and it looks real appealing. They also don't look that unreasonable of a install. I modded all my Glocks ALOT to smooth them out. I vowed I wouldn't do it again on a edc gun. That Apex Carry Kit does looks like a quality mod.

TunnelRat

I've done a half dozen APEX kit installs, I have no problem with them. What internet dribble are you referring to?

jnichols2

Mystro,

Reference your last picture, the bad guy in a ski mask.

It definitely looks like you put the shots where you wanted them. Is there a reason you went to the BGs right of center side (your left) instead of his left of center where the heart is?

camsdaddy

Oddly Im considering replacing my Glock 26 with either a 938 or a Shield. I don't know that this write up helped me fight the urge or decide which one to get.

sliponby

OK now. Replace the G26? I have an XDS 9mm which is similar size and thickness of the Shield. There have been many (most) days where I holstered up the XDS and looked down at my G26 and thought "naaah, I'm going with the G26." I've shot the Shield and it really is a sweet little shooter but, for me, I doubt it would replace my G26.

Both the Shield and XDS have the same footprint as the G26, just thinner. The handle length of the Shield is actually a bit longer than the G26. I've compared the three of them every which way. Variety truly is the spice of life and we all have our preferences...

Dragline45

Love both my Shield and Bodyguard, both fantastic guns. While the triggers are different, I shoot both great and am surprised by the accuracy I can get out of that little Bodyguard.

The Shield is my EDC, although the Bodyguard takes over for pocket carry when needed such as work, or in last weekends case a wedding. Although the Bodyguard went into the car for the reception, it was a Greek wedding which means lots of dancing. And seeing as I have white man syndrome, aka no rhythm, I needed about 6 gin and tonics before I was stepping foot on that dance floor.