Bought a pistol -- Thanks for the advice

Guyon

Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions for my gun choice. See [Link to invalid post] Today was a good day since I wound up buying a pistol. This weekend, there is a gun and knife show just a few miles from my house, and I didn't even know about it until this morning. I called a lot of stores for prices early today, and one sales rep mentioned that many of their guns were at the show. So that's the first place I went.

I was looking for either a CZ75 or a Ruger P95. Didn't see any CZs, but I saw a lot of
P95s around $350. However, I found one fellow selling new Ruger P95s (stainless) for $299--a decent price I thought. So with my $400 budget, I was able to get the pistol, a good holster, and one Ruger high-capacity clip. I hope the Rugers are as durable as everyone says. Since a lot of people here recommended these guns, I felt pretty good about my purchase.

Can't wait to try it out on the range. Now, the next big question is: Which ammo to use for defensive purposes?

------------------
Guyon
NRA Member

[This message has been edited by Guyon (edited July 29, 2000).]

J. Parker

Guyon; Excellent price in my opinion. And you got a factory hi-cap? Sounds like a good deal to me. I've got to tell ya it's an awesome pistol for that price. I had a couple and my buddy got one when they first came out and still has his. It's special to him because it was his first center fire pistol. Good Shooting, J. Parker

J. Parker

Sorry I didn't read the entire post. Ammo- Masaad Ayoob likes only +P in 9MM. There's alot out there, I'm sure you'll get some good input. Best, J. Parker

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
You made an excellent selection. Ruger's are
very well made firearms, in every respect.
Probably, the best investment out there for
people like myself who are on a restricted
budget? Luckily, I bought all my "high dollar" firearms when I had a job that
required a lot of overtime. :eek: Needless,
to say those days are over. :( Enjoy your
new toy!!!

Respectfully,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

sks

Guyon, congrats!! :cool:

I've owned 4 Rugers and never a problem with any of them. They are cheaper than others firearms but the quality is good. Which goes to show that you can build a quality firearm that doesn't cost thousands.

While I don't have the P95, some friends do and they are very satisfied.

You'll enjoy it for many moons.

------------------
The best weapon for self defense is the one you have when the need arises!

James K

Member In Memoriam
For some reason that I have never understood, many self-styled "experts" tend to downrate the Rugers. Perhaps they are not foreign or not exotic or don't have lots of problems to complain about at the gun shop and on these sites. They look bulky, but when you actually measure them, they are often less bulky than other guns which appear slimmer. Further, Ruger's unwritten warranty actually means they will fix anything that goes wrong that is not the direct fault of the user, and often what is.

The Rugers are rugged, reliable, and very reasonable in cost. I am reminded of one automobile writer's complaint that the Toyota Camry was "not exciting", since it did not break down or fall apart like the high ticket foreign make he had tested the month before. I'll take "not exciting" if "exciting" means a connie rod throught the engine block.

Jim

Bob Locke

Well done!

I hope you and your new Ruger are on the range soon, getting to know one another.

As far as ammo goes, I would look to Cor-Bon in 115- or 124-gr. +P variants, or the Speer Gold Dot 115-gr. cartridge. The latter is what is issued by most of the police agencies here in SE Virginia, and I carried the former for a few years. You won't go wrong with any of them. Also, Golden Saber would be a good choice. I must confess to not being that high on Hydra-Shoks, from some things that I have read.

As was stated before, make sure you go with +P loads whatever you get.

loknload

Congratulations on the new purchase,I hope it serves you well :)

Happy Shooting :)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

Frenchy

Sounds like a fine choice and an equally fine buy! You receive very good advice on this forum. "Knowledge is Power".

Frenchy

------------------
Donnez-moi la liberté, ou donnez-moi la mort!

jimmy

Good choice. Ruger 9mm pistols represent top value for the dollar and are quality, reliable, durable pieces. In the unlikely event of a problem, the Ruger factory service department will take care of it.

There are many good ammo choices for self-defense, but I suggest two "old reliables," Federal C9BP and Winchester Silvertips.

EWE

Congrats on an excellent choice. I hope yours serves you as well as mine has me. As far as ammo goes, I use Cor-Bon 115 gr. +P's. Good luck and good shooting.

David Scott

You paid about what I paid for a P-95, and I thought it was a good deal for a good gun. I chose 124 grain Speer Gold Dots for defensive ammo, after reading a whole lot of articles that siad "the other guy is wrong, I have the only right formula for stopping power!" :)

johnbt

Good move. Hope you shoot it a lot and enjoy it. I know I voted for the CZ, but I have two old Rugers I love to shoot, and a Camry. Thankfully, the Camry is not nearly as mechanically 'interesting' as my '86 Subaru 4wd beach wagon. John

Gary H

Congrats .. fsguns has some great deals on Hydra-Shok and Remington 115 gn. +P+. They also sell Hydra-Shok's little brother without the center metal bad boy. Prices make shooting the stuff reasonable.

Guyon

Thanks for all the encouraging posts. I wound up putting Remington Golden Saber 124 gr. +P ammo in for now. I'll continue to do my research on ammo, but a lot of the searches I did on The Firing Line indicated that this is good self-defense round. Also bought some 125 gr. Golden Sabers for my .357 S&W.

------------------
Guyon
NRA Member

tatters

Enjoy!!!! I had a P-95 and really liked it. It was too big for my carry, so I traded it.
Never had a burp or bauble, and it was plenty accurate. Good choice, Guyon!

------------------
"Any world that I'm welcome to.....Is better than the one I come from"