Bought a new toy

Bigfatts

I went to the tactical jerky/underwear show today with hopes of finding a good shotgun. I had been looking for a new HD shotgun and was trying to decide between a Winchester Defender ($249) and a Remington 870 Wingmaster with synthetic furniture and rifle sights ($225). I had just decided to go back for the Wingmaster when I rounded a corner and came face to barrel with the riot gun of my dreams. A High Standard K-120 riot gun with rifle sights. It had a fixed 6 round mag tube under an 18" barrel. It has pretty nice wood furniture. It was a police trade in and the butt is stamped COOK COUNTY SHERIFF'S POLICE. The finish is a pretty nice bluing. It has a few scratches here and there but overall it's alot better than you would expect for a Police gun. Seemed like a good solid piece.

I had never seen a High Standard shotgun for sale before and I had to have it. Sticker price was $225, which was exactly the amount I had left in my pocket. I asked would he take any less and he went down to $215. Six people offered to buy it from me before I got it in the car! As I type it is freshly cleaned and lubed, laying on the couch next to me. The wife even likes it. It's pretty hard to justify new guns these days too, especially since I just brought home a Henry .22 a couple days ago.

Anyways I can't seem to find any info on these shotguns. There aren't even any on Gunbroker. Are they being made under the Mitchell's Mauser name now? I did see an owner's manual for a "Mitchell's High Standard" shotgun that resembled the K-120. Anyone have any info?

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
The HS shotguns were well made and of good design. Still many happy owners out there. Well worth what you paid.

What killed the HS shotguns were the twin 600 lb gorillas in Pumpgunland. These are the Model 12 Winchester and the Remington 870. Eventually the 870 won the war.

Enjoy yours.....

Black_Talon

I love the H-S Flite-Kings. I have three and they're all great guns. They're built like tanks, and are a simple and reliable design. The Mossy 500 was heavily influenced by the Flite-King, except it was made to a cheaper price-point.

Best place for K-120/Flite-King info is here: http://www.histandard.info/
John really knows his way around High Standards.

Here's my three. Two are the 8111 from 1975 & '76 with the bead sights, the other is a 1970 8113 from Allen County PD and has the rifle-sights:
3x_Hi-Std_0900.jpg

LSU12ga

nice

Those are very "police'y" looking guns. They seem as if they would look at home in the hands of a texas state trooper at a peace rally in the 60's.

just the wood look i guess.

the possum

Six people offered to buy it from me before I got it in the car!

Since the gun was from the Cook County PD, are you from Illinois? Even if you're in a nearby state and occasionally cross the line to attend gun shows, beware of the above! Illinois law was recently changed so that private party sales cannot be conducted at a gunshow- all sales must go through an FFL. This even applies to sales that were "initiated" at the gun show, and then later concluded elsewhere. Some exhibitor buddies warned us at the last few shows we attended, saying several guys got hauled off in handcuffs for this- there were undercover agents walking around offering to buy guns from individuals.

I'm betting 99.9% of them had no idea they were breaking the new law. Our anti-gun governor just wants a pile of arrests so he can tell everyone how evil gunshows are, and push for more bans.

Meh. Sorry for the rant.

Bigfatts

Nope, nowhere near Illinois. Bought it in Lakeland Florida from a guy who moved here from Illinois a few years ago. Thanx for the warning though :) .