Bought a new Savage MKII 22 bolt action, anyone have one

wolverine350

I just bought a new Savage MKII 22 bolt action rifle from Wally World for 105.00, seemed to be a nice gun for the 100.00 range and mounted a 6x40 swift scope on it , i hadn't yet got to shoot it, was wandering if anybody out there has one , and how do you like it, ? does it shoot well?:)

rugerdude

A friend of mine has one. He just sent it back to savage because it would not extract the .22 case after firing. He kept having to use a screwdriver even after he replaced the extractor with a new one that savage sent him.

However, it was also VERY accurate. Either he's a better shot (even though I shoot way more) or he's had better luck with his scope, or that free floated barrel can shoot, but at the end of the day he was making more hits on a 2" spinner target at 70 yards and I'm fiddlin' with the scope on my Marlin 925 wondering why I can't hit the thing.

Experiment with ammo, and soon you'll be making ragged holes at 25 yards that miraculously steal all of your bullets and prevent them from going anywhere else on the paper.;) My guns like mini-mags, so I'd say those are worth trying.

DonR101395

I've got a left handed one. It shoots great. It's not a tack driver but will hold 1 1/2" at 50 yards with my cheap bushnell rimfire scope and remington bulk pack ammo. I bought it last summer for $150.

tINY

I have a heavy barreled one in a fancy stock. I haven't shot it from a bench into little targets yet, but it seems pretty accurate.

The barrel is not free-floated on mine, but with a laminate stock and a heavy barrel, I'm not sure it matters too much on a 22lr....

-tINY

rugerdude

Wolverine, I definitely figured that it was the chamber, but he wanted it repaired under warranty, not his own dime.

Otherwise, he's very happy with everything but the trigger, and I found the trigger to be fine (he's been known to complain a bit).

In fact, his rifle inspired me to free-float my marlin barrel today, and do a little trigger work.

Have fun with your new rifle.

gfen

I own two of them. I've had the cheapest model, the thin barrel in a tupperware stock for a couple years now. It has the regular trigger, and using a simple walkthrough on rimfirecentral.net I was able to lighten it up significantly. Its fun, but its too small for me. Feels like a toy. My wife shoots it now, she really loves it.

I find it to be incredibly accurate, for its price, once the trigger had been smoothed out. It does, however, suffer from the poor extraction problem. I never bothered to have it fixed.

I also have a heavy barrelled version in the wood stock with the AccuTrigger. It looks nicer, feels bigger to me, and I enjoy the AccuTrigger which I haven't changed even bothered to adjust at all, yet.

maddog44

Wolverine

I have one. I got it before the Accutrigger, so I reworked the trigger. It is a tack driver with good .22 LR target ammo. Absolutely deadly on the bushytails out to 100 yds (with holdover, of course). If I shoot, and the squirrel don't fall, I know it ain't the rifle. They are an excellent buy.
I gave a good Nikkon scope on mine and have had no issues with either the scope or rifle.

Dave Markowitz

I have a Mark IIGL (lefty), pre-AccuTrigger. I bought a Rifle Basix sear to improve the trigger but haven't installed it yet. Despite the heavy trigger, it is very accurate with CCI Mini Mags or Subsonic HPs. 50 yard groups can be covered with a nickel. Try several different kinds of ammo to see which shoots best in your rifle.

I also have a 93GL in .22 Magnum. It's a great shooter, too.

Maximus856

I've got one in a synthetic stock with a simmons 3-9.. Absolutely love it. I've put bullets through the same hole at 100, and have them touching consistantly at the same range from a bipod..

Great gun, though it does seem to occasionally have a problem extracting cases every now and then. Also, theres a bit more slop in the trigger then I'd like but it gets the job done.

-Max.