Bought a .357 Handi-Rifle

jheitertusa

I bought a new H&R SB1-S35 .357 mag Handi-Rifle. I have read mixed reviews on the Handi Rifles, so I thought I would do a little write up. I took it to the range today.

When I bought the rifle, I removed the scope rail and then re-installed it with thread-locker. I then went to Dicks Sporting Goods and picked up a Tru-Glo 5moa red dot on sale for $29.95, also installing it with threadlock.

At the range, I fired a few .38spl rounds at 25 yards to get it on paper, and found it was centered and only a couple inches low. I made some adjustments, then moved it out to 50 yards, where I quickly got it sighted in with the .357's. I was able to shoot a couple 1 inch 3 shot groups at 50 yards using my range bag as a rest. I was using .357 mag Fiocchi 142gr FMJ TRC and .357 mag Hornady 140gr Leverevolution.

I felt that was pretty darn good considering zero magnification (at least for me). Standard rifle sights seem to give me a bit of a problem because of my astigmatism and farsightedness, but I love the red dots. I didn't try shooting at 75 or 100 yards, because the 5MOA dot starts covering a larger part of the target, making tight groups more problematic. Still, I would say minute-of-deer accuracy at 75 yards or less like I have it set up. Someday I will put a scope on it and give it a try at longer ranges just for kicks.

Trigger pull is a bit on the heavy side, but unlike other write-ups I've seen, mine breaks very crisp, with little or no creep. A smooth, steadily increasing pressure on the trigger and *boom*

Noise is not bad, recoil almost nil. It's a fun gun to shoot! I plan on using it this deer season for ranges up to 50-60 yards max. If I get a chance to shoot one, I'll write up the results. I plan on using the Hornady Leverevolution ammo, as it seems to shoot it well. I think out of a 22" barrel it should punch hard enough.

4sixteen

These are cool little rifles. I have 5 different barrels for mine: 22 Hornet, 30-30, 45-70, 410 and 12 gauge. The 410 gets used the most: grouse slayer. :p

3030HR.jpg

Trigger Time

I considered buying a Handi-Rifle chambered in .243 at a gun show last weekend. Now I wish I would have. I guess I will just have to be content with the two I already own for now. You just can't go wrong with a Handi-Rifle.

bapfreak

All of their single-shot products are excellent. My first shotgun was a NEF Pardner 12Ga and I consider more reliable than a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.