Boron carbide update?

AndABeer

I have been seriously considering this finish when my newest aquistion arrives next week. Just wondering if the finish is holding up and what problems have been IDed, if any.

RickB

Bodycote has been refining their process, and they are currently undercoating the boron carbide with something to provide better corrosion resistance. I had my gun coated in January, and was told earlier this month that I could return it for recoating using the latest process.
The only apparent wear on my gun is in areas where two bc-coated surfaces rub against each other. For instance, there is absolutely no evidence of holster wear, but there is a small bright spot where the slide stop (1911 pistol) rubs against the frame. No wear at all where the (uncoated) barrel lower lugs cam over the slide stop pin, but wear on the hammer where the slide rides over it. This wear is not normal, according to Ann at Bodycote, and she didn't hesitate to offer to recoat it.

Incursion

They have invested in the machinery to put a chromium nitrate and a tungsten carbide coating underneath the boron carbide.

tonerguy

So, do you send your gun to them directly?

Where do you send your gun to get it coated? At one time I heard you had to send it through selected dealers/gunsmiths.

What's the current situation and cost?

RickB

Last I heard, "civilians" (non-FFL) had to send their gun to the Colorado School of Trades. A gunsmith at the school inspects the gun, disassembles it, sends it to Bodycote where it is coated, then upon return he inspects it again (test fires?), then returns it to the owner. The middle man adds $100. Bodycote will apparently still accept guns directly from FFLs, but they must be already prepped (polished, bead-blasted) and disassembled.

Hemicuda

I wonder if this is the SAME EXACT "BodyKote" that I drive past on Haggerty Rd. in Canton, MI, every day on my way to work...

Incursion

I believe they are located in Greensboro, NC.

Actually, they do have a facility in Canton, MI, but it's a thermal processing facility. Their metallurgical coating facility is in NC.

Hemicuda

aah, so I could get a gun cryogenically treated here in Canton, but it has to go to NC to be coated... ok...