Boron Carbide Coating and Pics

Coltdriver

Today Joe at the Colorado School of Trades called to tell me my HP was back from the coating factory.

The Boron Carbide is a very uniform, silk smooth, very tough finish. I had seen a .45 done by a fellow with the handle of ArmySon on another board. That finish (by the same company) was a silky shiny grey silver. My HP turned out a very uniform satin dark grey. My barrel, which is somewhat polished steel, came out with the hue of the gun ArmySon Posted so his gun must have been polished steel as opposed to the cast make up of the HP.

However, I am still very happy with the way the finish has come out.

I brought the gun to the School of trades detail stripped. They would have preferred that I brought it in assembled so that they could test fire it, then they could disassemble it, ship it, get it back, reassemble it and test fire it again.

But this is a new process to them and I convinced Joe that there were no missing parts and that he was welcome to inventory the gun parts if he wanted. He agreed to take the gun but would not re assemble it when it came back (liability nonsense). But I did not care as reassembling a HP is very easy to do.

Every single part was coated except the springs and the two pins on the trigger, one that captures the mag safety and the one that passes through the trigger spring, the roll pins for the extractor and the one that holds the (not sure of the name) bar that releases the hammer.

The coating was very thorough. It completely and very uniformly covers the entire gun, inside and out. Anything that does not show as uniform in these pictures is only because I did not wipe the oil off of the gun very well. Where there is oil it is shiny(er).

I will get out to fire it this week end and let you know how it behaves. I wanted to leave the mag safety in it because this is intended to be a carry gun and I like the firing pin block and the mag safety feature for a carry gun. Later I will try treating the face of the mag and the mag safety with the molyfusion described by me in another post.

I will post pics as soon as I figure out how to on this new forum. If this finish holds up well this is easily going to be the best finish on the market. Where I pounded the trigger pin back in, the punch left no mark and no scaring of the finish. This is fairly tough stuff. It will cost you about 250, maybe a little less if you let them ship your gun with a few others. The cost breakout was 100 for the coating, 70 for the shipping and 40 for some disassembly done by the gun smith school (they removed the millet sights and catalogued a few of the small parts). So 210 for me.

Attachments

• good left side.jpg
    good left side.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 602

Coltdriver

Another Pic

Hopefully this will show the difference between the finish on a cast part and the finish on the steel barrel.

I think a steel gun would come out looking like this shiny grey barrel and would be beautiful.

The coating is still ok with me, assuming it holds up to wear, because it is very uniform and completely coverers every part.

Attachments

• barrel and slide.jpg
    barrel and slide.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 343

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
ArmySon is on the board.
Very good fellow. He is both Staff and Family here.

And your gun... VERY NICE. Let us know how it holds up.

Coltdriver

Source, Address, Contact Info

The exclusive source for getting your gun Diamondcoated is through the:

Colorado School of Trades Gunsmithing and Horseshoeing
1575 Hoyt
Lakewood, Colorado

Their phone number is 303 233 4697. Ask for Joe, he is there between 8:30 and noon nearly every day mountain time.

The cost for the diamond coat is between 100 and 150 for a pistol plus shipping plus disassembly and re assembly charges. The School of Trades wants your pistol assembled. They will test fire it, disassemble it, catalog and ship the appropriate parts and re assemble it and test fire it when it comes back.

If you want to pay the overnight freight your self ad about $35 each way. Most pistols are taken apart and put together again for about $100 but it will vary depending on your model, ask Joe.

If you want to go in a larger shipment, your freight will be less. You will need to wait about an extra week for them to get three or four to send at once. The turn around is between one and four weeks from Diamond Coat.

They had a problem with oil seeping out from around the barrel guide on my slide and actually re did it four times. But they got it perfect. The coating is guaranteed for life and if yours ever chips etc they will re coat the pistol for the cost of freight.

By way of disclaimer, I have no interest monetary or otherwise and if you use the School of Trades for your pistol you are on your own. But they are good people and this is an excellent coating.

Coltdriver

The old millet sights were removed so the coating could be applied.

I am going to get a different set and install them later.

RickB

Sounds like the Colorado School is a very overpriced middleman. What if I want only the slide coated? They want the whole gun, test-fire it twice, etc.?
Early on, I sent my disassembled gun directly to Bodycote, and they returned it coated and still disassembled, for $150. Now, I would have to send the assembled gun to Colorado, and the whole shebang would cost an extra $100-$125. Even if you look at the extra expense as an insurance policy (it's the School's responsibility to see to it that the work is done properly?), it still seems excessive.

Coltdriver

RickB

I could not agree more with you on that point.

In fact, given that the School is a school and not really a business the other part that seems inconsistent is the fact that a student works on your gun.

We will have to see how long that lasts.

I imagine that you could probably just send them a slide.

Joe got all wrapped around the axel because I brought him my HP detail stripped and he did not want to put it back together because of (typical school oriented) liability issues. I said, hey, I never expected you to put it back together. Then he was nervous about the parts count, I assured him it was all there and offered to inventory it with him. He relented and took the gun. The lack of business orientation will not serve them well and eventually market reality may catch up with Diamondcoat. But until it does, thats the deal.

FIRE!

I would have to disagree on a couple of things. First, when I inquired about sending them my Mustang I was told that no students work on the guns and they keep to Bodycote business seperate from the school. Secondly, I feel that CST's service was a good value. The shipping was easier for me since I did not have to deal with a local FFL. Also, in addition to the dis-assembly, re-assembly, and testing I think the real value in their service is the stripping and metal prep. If that's not done right nothing will look good. Esecially for my gun as the old finish was quite worn, and it was pretty rough in some spots. To top it all off, Joe spent a lot of extra time working with my pistol trying to install springs (Brownell's sent the wrong parts and Joe handled the return), trying to install a SM&A trigger that never did work, and stripping and hot blueing my rear sight so it would match the rest of the pistol better, all at no charge. Except for one gruff comment, I would say that I got very good customer service. I love this finish. It looks good, and it feels good in your hand

VictorLouis

Well, if you weren't aware of it, technical schools are businesses. The product they sell is education.:)

Anyhow, I have to agree that the arrangement they have is pretty good for the customer. From what I understand, Bodycote will accept product from any gunsmith holding an FFL. Their forte' is finishing, NOT gunsmithing, and there's the rub. Yes, as I learned, the metal prep is everything with regard to the final finish.;)