Boredom is the mother of invention

vertigo7

I picked up my SKS from the gunplumber this afternoon and went to the range to sight it in with my new Williams Firesights. Quite nice and bright. Then I switched to my newly purchased Kel-Tec P3AT and put some rounds downrange.

Anyhow, to get to the point, I was looking at the P3AT and hating the built-in sights and wondered if I could get something like the Firesights for the P3AT. Then I remembered I had some Hi-Viz Bird-Buster sights in my toolbox ($14.95 at Wal-Mart with 4 lightpipes and 3 bases). They're made to attach to the vent-rib of a shotgun with an inset magnet strip. Just for grins, I plunked a set down on the slide of my mousegun on top of the front sight, and presto, instant no-gunsmithing dot sight a hundred times easier to see than the built-in front sight.

Much to my amazement, it stayed in place as I emptied a mag as fast as I could. Hi-Viz also has a shotgun bead made the same as the sights I've tested, so that one may be better suited to the task if I wanted to make it a permanent addition.

vertigo7

I doubt the magnet would make it out of the holster.

True enough. The magnets are perfect for testing since I can fool with it without altering the slide. If I decide to make it permanent, I'll replace the plastic sight frame with something more sturdy, and either tap the slide for screws or epoxy the assembly down.