Bored... wondering what to buy or upgrade next.

jg0001

Title says it all...

For some background, I already have: Sig226 in 9mm, 1911, LWRC M6A3 in 6.8 (i.e. piston AR), S&W 500 (scoped), Benelli SuperSport 12ga, Walther G22, Browning Buckmark 22LR (with mini red dot).

I can't decide if my next purchase should be:

(1) Bolt action rifle & scope (I almost made this choice on the last go 'round, but ended up with the AR-15 platform rifle AND the Walther G22 instead, both of which I really enjoy); I don't want to spend too much here and this is probably one of the more expensive possibilities right now

(2) Scope for the AR-15 platform [I presently have an Eotech XPS3-0 + Magnifier setup]

(3) Mossberg 590A 9 shot 12 gauge; this Mossberg is kinda ugly, so I wouldn't mind it getting beat up (the Benelli I have is beautiful, but not a SHTF scenario shotgun given it's low capacity and massive size)

(4) 357 magnum S&W TRR8 revolver; upon which lights & lasers could be added the next time I get bored and need to upgrade something; I would really like another revolver (besides my S&W500), but ammo is still a bit too expensive in this caliber to be willing to shoot it enough to make it worthwhile (including 38 special)

(5) compound bow (not sure where I'd practice with it, but my bro-in-law is a huge fan of bows)

(6) sword of some type (yeah, I'm not kidding... like the good book says, swords don't run out of ammo) -- where can you even buy a REAL sword? I'm talking about something Katana-like, not a broadsword (as if I need to say that) -- I'd spend $1000 on something decent (what price range do these go for -- i.e. what's the Sig Sauer of swords cost these days?) [good answers found here]

What am I missing? What other itches that I don't know I need to scratch should I be scratching?

Last edited:

jg0001

Good answer, but not practical for me at the moment given my current real estate setup (I'm referring to the reloading setup).

As far as competition, I have been highly considering it, but am sorely lacking in free time given my *growing* family situation :) I very much agree with you and thank you for the idea however -- perhaps I should head down the competition path at least in thought (if not in practice (yet)) as far as how to spend future sums on the shooting sports.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
You need a good bolt rifle.

Like a Savage in 25-06 or 7mm-08, or 243 or 22-250, or 204Ruger.... or...

Yep, and a good scope. You can keep it under $1000, easy. Under $800 if you try.

Citizen Carrier

Competition's convenience depends on what is close by, naturally.

For me, the most convenient shooting sport is indoor bullseye, which is offerred by at least three different ranges here in my city.

NRA High Power, my other shooting sport, is somewhat less convenient. It requires an hour or two of road time and only on weekends.

I don't think I'd do the sword bit, at any rate. I can't think of a situation in which I would employ a sword. Certainly not indoors. And swinging one around outdoors? Not so much.

A good knife, on the other hand, is a useful consideration.

Dustin0

I am building a muaser in 7mm-08 right now. You can build a really nice one of akind bolt gun for under a $1000. OR the TRR8 would be a fun one. Its on my wishlist.

jg0001

A good knife, on the other hand, is a useful consideration.

It's easier to buy a knife in Walmart in Pennsylvania, bring it into New Jersey and have it be a crime due to some technicality of its design (any kind of assisted opening in New Jersey is a no-no) than to buy a 3 foot sword. Anywho, I can see spending $30-$50 for a knife, but I don't yet quite understand why someone would spend $200+ for a knife.

jg0001

You need a good bolt rifle.

Like a Savage in 25-06 or 7mm-08, or 243 or 22-250, or 204Ruger.... or...

Yep, and a good scope. You can keep it under $1000, easy. Under $800 if you try.

The 2nd line of your reply is partly what has slowed my decision... selecting a caliber is no easy choice. I keep thinking I'd just go with 30-06 or 308 Win for the first go 'round, as those two calibers seem to be fairly universal and popular enough to be able to be purchased easily. My only real issue with this is that the ammo is pricey, one of the reasons I ended up with a 22LR rifle (Walther G22) the last time I went shopping.

For just plain old plinking, without losing real world utility, is there any reason not to go the 30-06/308Win route? Are any other calibers much cheaper in terms of ammo cost? {and no, I don't want to invest any more in 22LR right now, nor .17HMR}

Last edited:

MrBorland

I would really like another revolver (besides my S&W500), but ammo is still a bit too expensive in this caliber to be willing to shoot it enough to make it worthwhile (including 38 special)

Then how 'bout a .22 revolver? A nice vintage blued K-22 Masterpiece 6-shooter, or a newer 10-shot 617. They are cheap and fun to shoot and accurate to boot, so it'll generally help your revolver shooting until you spring for the TRR8. A K-22 Masterpiece would make a nice heirloom, too.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
For just plain old plinking, without losing real world utility, is there any reason not to go the 30-06/308Win route? Are any other calibers much cheaper in terms of ammo cost? {and no, I don't want to invest any more in 22LR right now, nor .17HMR}

Recoil is my reason.

I'm used to it, I've hunted for years with a 12ga, but I don't like it. Especially in a fun gun. I'd go 7mm on down. 25-06 would be great, 7mm-08 is fabulous for hunting.

For just plinking and not reloading, your best bet for a lower recoil guns is probably 243 or 223. You don't lose anything with a 243 except extremely long range. You can hunt anything up to and including Elk with it.

jg0001

or a newer 10-shot 617

I have actually been eyeballing a S&W 617. Buying a handgun, however, in New Jersey is a pain in the butt. Given that I have a 22LR handgun already (the Buckmark with a mini-red dot), I'm not ready to jump the handgun hurdle just yet for that. The TRR8, though, is different enough that I've been considering it. If I do go that route, I would just sign up for 2 handgun purchasing permits and perhaps buy the 617 at the same time.

jg0001

[The wife totally nixed the sword idea and the handgun issue is still a pain in the butt in NJ. I ended up getting a S&W M&P 15-22 and a scope that I can use both on that and on my 6.8mm AR. I'll post an update on that new rifle once I get a chance to put it through it's paces. I did shoot it using irons only, and it was phenomenal, I can't wait to try it with the scope.]