Bore-stores, sack-ups and other storage sacks

Jeff Thomas

I've thought of buying these at gun shows, but I wondered about the quality. Cabela's has 'Bore-stores' for $9 to $10, and 'sack-ups' are $4.50 to $6 (with a deal for 6).
Since I'm trusting these things for medium / long-term storage, does anyone have any suggestions? Seems like a bad place to scrimp, but what's the smart buy?

I also have concern about these things fitting over the pistol grips on a couple of rifles. Do rifles with pistol grips need a special 'sack'?

Thanks for the help.

Live and let live. Regards from AZ

[Note ... tried this in General Discussion, but not much response. Hoping for more input here in Art of the Rifle. Thanks.]

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited August 12, 2000).]

Andy socal

I have sack-ups for all my long-guns, and have never had a problem with rust. Of course, it also helps that I am in dry Southern California.
I purchased mine through the Sportsman's Guide(webpage is www.sportsmansguide.com ), however, I am a frequent shopper of Cabelas. I must say that almost everything I have bought from Cabelas is quality.

The sacks I bought have the logo of the seller, and I have seen very similar, if not the same sacks, with other seller's logos on them. This leads me to beleive that there are only a few companies making them, and they simply swap logos for shipping. With this in mind, it really doesn't matter significantly where you buy them, except that Cabelas has an extremely pro-customer, customer service policy.

Andy

johnwill

If you're really storing the guns long-term, you'd be well advised to prepare them before sticking them in a sack. I'd start by using LOTS of protective oil internally, and run an oiled patch down the bore after throughly cleaning it. One trick for the exterior of guns is to wax them, standard paste wax works well and will really help with moisture.

slickpuppy

I used corrosion inhibitor bags from Bianchi for years until they discontinued them. Now I use the ones from Kleenbore.

They are like ziploc bags with corrosion inhibitors embedded into the plastic.

Much less in cost than what you are looking at and hold up for years.

They protect my guns in high humidity and salt air like nothing else.