Bore Snakes & Revolvers?

jtduncan

I'm a newer revolver shooter and was wondering what everybody thinks about the Bore Snakes.

Of course, I'd do regular thorough cleanings at home with brass brushes, Lead Away/MP7Pro, pathes, and jags.

But at the range, I'd think it would extend my shooting with lead bullets. I've read that around 150 rounds of lead, some people run the snakes through to keep their accuracy and avoid any lead build up.

I do like the idea that the snake can run the brush from the breech to the muzzle crown.

Does anybody use the Bore Snake with Lead Away and other strong chemicals and who does it hold up and perform?

Wise purchase for my Redhawk, SW 610, and 625?

P

PreserveFreedom

I think a bore snake is a wise investment for any firearm. One pull is like a whole bunch of thrusts with a traditional brush. On top of it all, once it is threaded, you can be rough with it and not have to worry about a rod "dinging" your crown or forcing cone. Remember to support your cylinder when scrubbing a wheelgun.

Nanaimo Barr

we use gun scrub or equivelant (brake cleaner) with a Bore Snake half way through every CAS match we shoot, (pistols and rifles) quick, and with lead you can tell the differnce with the longer ranges.. it ain't gonna hurt. (Starting to see the BP types use them as well)

NB

waltherpfive

I use them all the time and love them. I have a NAA mini mag and the bore snake is the olny way to go with those small guns.

JayCee

I shoot a lot of lead rounds through my 625s. At the end of each session, I shoot a cylinderful of jacketed rounds, then clean with a Bore Snake. Haven't seen any significant buildup of lead using this system.

WESHOOT2

I USE LEAD

I shoot the crap out of my guns.
I don't clean them often, maybe once a year.
None seem to act up from being fired often.
All are very accurate.
After bores are clean a saturated patch using TetraLube is run through the bore.

jtduncan

Well Weshoot2.

That's because you be da man!

I'm just a mere mortal.

But since getting into revolvers and starting to shoot lead, I've started to spend a good 20 minutes plus cleaning my revolvers.

Gotta love Glocks - 6 minutes and you're done and that's taking it real slow.

WESHOOT2

"......ONE LEG AT A TIME....."

Read (and discussed) an article by a leading barrel manufacturer on barrel cleaning.
Offered opinion -- don't clean.

Granted, deteriorating accuracy or function require cleaning for restoring correct performance, but only for those reasons. Cleaning to have a clean gun is a waste of time, and can cause a reduction in accuracy due to parts slop and/or wear from disassembly and/or poor cleaning techniques.
Barrel leading is caused by poor bullets (over- or undersized, wrong alloy, improper jacket) or poor bore finish. FIX that, and cleaning is rendered moot.

Yes, I know my 44 Redhawk is getting sooty-looking, and my hard-chromed Witness is completely full of crud (proving the combat viability of the CZ75 design), but both still function 100%, and both remain more accurate than me.
(And I'll admit to running a bristle brush through the chambers when firing multiple lead bullets, or wiping off the real big chunks when folks start hassling me about "pride of ownership blah blah blah", or adding another drop of BreakFree when the slide gets sloooooow, or oiling up the rust spots, or pushing a patch down the bore to make sure there's no spiderwebs....)

Your results may vary, and we ain't talking rifles...