Bore snakes breaking off in the bore

Dfariswheel

Due to the increased use of Bore snakes, and reports of snakes breaking off in the bore, I contacted Michael's of Oregon about what they recommend as an extraction method.

Their answer:

I've heard numerous extraction methods, but the only thing that we
recommend is for the individual not to put any oils/solvent down the
barrel if the snake brakes. It will cause the snake to swell, thus
becoming harder to dislodge. We haven't found a recommended extraction
method yet.

Jeff Redding
Bushnell Performance Optics
1-800-423-3537 ext. 6193

Wild Bill Bucks

I just noticed that my bore snake is longer than my barrel, so I guess if it were to break, I would just pull on the other end until it came back out.:D

Dfariswheel

"I would just pull on the other end until it came back out"

Someone on another forum tried JUST that.
The other end broke off too, and now he's in a real fix.
It's jammed tight in the bore and there's nothing to grab on to.

It seems the trick to using bore snakes is to NOT use them too long.
Some people seem to use them, and wash them until they just get too fragile and break.
Or they use a snake for a larger caliber in a small bore and it can't handle the stress.

Wild Bill Bucks

A wooden dowel rod and a hammer will do the trick, and the dowel rod won't hurt the barrel. Theres nothing that is on a bore snake that is going to harm your barrel, at least no worse that conventional bore brushes and such.

The Terminator

A tool is made for blackpowder rifles to remove squibs. It is a rod with a little corkscrew on the end. It is twisted into the into the lead ball so that it can be removed. I don't see why (sitting at my keyboard) that it wouldn't work with a bore snake. Best -

hehz0r

If mine breaks I would just push it out with my cleaning rod (as stated above). This isn't exactly rocket science.

Pthfndr

If mine breaks I would just push it out with my cleaning rod (as stated above). This isn't exactly rocket science.

I've got $10 that says you can't push out a bore snake with a cleaning rod, wooden dowel, or any other object. If I had $10,000 I'd bet that. ;)